The Austrian sweet dumpling with a lot of hot air, made from eggs, flour, sugar, and vanilla sugar. [A sprinkle of salt is traditional, but I do not like salt in this recipe.] The egg whites are beaten and then gently folded into the rest of the ingredients. The distinct shape is from dropping the dough into several mounds with a LARGE spoon into a buttered baking dish. The size of the baking dish will determine how high the mounds can rise, if the baking dish is too large, it will spread first which will make for low dumpling. To get the height, the baking dish should barely accommodate the dough, but not so small the dumpling will overflow. Made from two eggs is sufficient for two people. Since the ratio is 1 Tbsp of flour and sugar for every two eggs, the recipe is easy to multiply.
Salzburg dumpling must be served and eaten right of way. This is quick to prepare, making it a perfect quick fix for soothing those sweet cravings or to treating an unexpected guest to something nice.
*Make at least one trial run before serving this to guests. This was my third try and I am still not satisfied with the result. Finally, I think I may have figured out what dish and how many eggs to use. I will use the same dish as in the photos with the reconfigured recipe using three eggs.
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp flour
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
rind of 1 lemon, finely grated [optional]
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp sugar
butter or cooking spray
icing sugar for dusting
• Preheat oven to 375F.
• In mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, flour, vanilla sugar and the lemon rinds.
• In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
• Add a little from the beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture.
• Gently stir to loosen up the egg yolk mixture.
• Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the yolk mixture.
• Butter or spray a baking dish.
• Using a large serving spoon, spoon the mixture into the buttered baking dish, making 3 equal mounds.
• Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
• Sprinkle top with icing sugar.
• Serve immediately.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- CHEESY DUMPLINGS - SAJTOS NOKEDLI
- STEFANIA CAKE - STEFÁNIA TORTA
- POPPY SEED NOODLES - MÁKOS TÉSZTA
- COCOA NOODLES - KAKAÓS TÉSZTA
- BOOZY BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- STEFANIA MEATLOAF - STEFÁNIA VAGDALT
- CARROT OATMEAL MUFFINS
- GREEK POTATO CASSEROLE - GÖRÖG RAKOTT KRUMPLI
- CARAWAY SEED SOUP - KÖMÉNYMAG LEVES
- SPROUTING LENTILS
- SALZBURG DUMPLING
- ▼ April (11)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)