1 cup flour, sifted
3/4 cup potato starch
1 cup sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 batch of cocoa buttercream
6 disposable aluminum cake pans
raw cocoa powder for dusting
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Line the six cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
• In a bowl, sift together the flour and potato starch.
• Add the grated lemon zest.
• In a large bowl beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar for 5 minutes.
• Gradually add the flour and potato mix to the yolk mixture.
• Wash the beaters and beat egg whites to soft peeks.
• Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat to stiff glossy peaks.
• Stir some beaten egg white into the batter.
• Gently fold in the remaining whites.
• Place the batter in the parchment lined cake pans.
• Bake at 425F for 5-6 minutes or until light golden.
• Remove from oven, loosen the edge and invert on wire racks.
• Peel off paper and let the cake layers cool completely.
• Fill the layers and spread the top evenly with cocoa buttercream.
• Dust the top with raw cocoa powder.
• Chill thoroughly before slicing