image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

4.4.12

STEFANIA MEATLOAF - STEFÁNIA VAGDALT


The Hungarian Stefánia vagdalt with the egg in the middle is a variation on meatloaf, but amazing what a different reaction it can get with a slice of egg inside it. I use my regular meatloaf recipe; the only difference is I stuff the meat with 4 hard cooked eggs. I cook the eggs with care, there must not be a green rim surrounding the yolk and the eggs should remain intact when peeled. I have the recipe for making the perfect boiled egg and it always satisfies. Stefánia vagdalt sometimes made with a sausage stick inserted into the meat loaf and that too is delicious.

4 hardboiled eggs, peeled
700 g lean ground pork
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp caraway seeds, finely ground
1 Tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp marjoram
2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 eggs
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
cooking spray

• Make the perfect hardboiled eggs.
• Set the oven to 350F.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan.
• Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
• Place the ground pork in a large bowl.
• Add the sautéed onions and the grated garlic.
• Add the salt, pepper, ground caraway seeds, marjoram, parsley and Hungarian paprika.
• Add the eggs and the breadcrumbs.
• With clean hands, combine the meat mixture really well.
• Peel the hardboiled eggs.
• Place half of the meat mixture on a board.
• Shape the meat into a long oblong.
• Lay the hardboiled eggs in a row in the middle.
• Cover the eggs with the remaining dough and shape it into a loaf.
• Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray. This is important.*
• Bake the meatloaf at 350F for an hour.
• Serve it hot or cold.

* Some people grease the dish and sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. But this just makes a soggy mess out of the bottom half of the meatloaf. Use cooking spray instead and you can slice it or move it within 5-10 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Zsuzsa,

    Thank you so much for all your wonderful recepies. I have tried to make most of them. I moved to Canada with my father and brother when I was ten years old. Our menu at home was pretty basic, my father was not the best cook, and i had to learn at a young age how to cook. With my third pregnancy I started craving everything Hungarian. Recipes I haven't even thought of in years. This is how I came across your blog. Thank you for all the time and work you put into these recepies. My baby girl is 3 months old now and I still check your blog regularly for new ideas and old favorites that i haven't had in over 20 years. Thank you so much for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, I have not had this type of meatloaf with the egg in the middle, for years, and years. My mother used to make it just like yours...did not know it had an actual name for it!
    Thanks for sharing your delicious version of this recipe!
    Happy Easter, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsa, it looks fantastic and so perfect for Easter. I still haven't tasted a meatloaf... I really must make it one day. Yours sounds like the best introduction to the world of meatloaves ;-)
    Have a Happy and Sunny Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Agi,

    Your message chocked me up. I cannot imagine what it must have been like for you learning to cook so young and with all the obstacles new immigrants encounter in a new country. People simply have no idea how hard it is at the beginning, because nothing tastes the same or you can't find what you need in the stores. At least I was eighteen when I came to Canada, but Agi, you were a little girl! I am so glad you can use my recipes! When I first started this blog, I was organizing my recipes for my children and grandchildren. Since then my readership has grown and I met some nice people from all around the world, kindred spirits, other foodies, some of them like you with Hungarian ancestry. This makes it all worthwhile. Thanks again for taking the time to write. You must be very busy these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisabeth I have to confess... the only Stefania I knew was the cake. Sure, I make this all the time I just knew it as the meatloaf with the eggs inside it. When one of my visitors [Judit from Budapest] suggested a dozen or so recipes, Stefania vagdalt was one of them. So I googled it and low be hold it was the meatloaf with the eggs inside it. Now I know what to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sissi, if you haven't made meatloaf yet, make sure at least half of the meat is lean pork. The other important factor is combining the ingredients with your hand into a perfectly homogenous mass. You will of course season it with some oriental stuff, but if you use pork and combine the mixture really well, it will be delicious. I never could make a good tasting meatloaf just from beef.

    PS. Thanks for the Easter wishes; it has been a warm and sunny day from the start. I must get ready to go; I am going out for Easter dinner to my youngest daughter’s house. I feel spoiled. It will be delicious and I didn't even have to cook for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter to you too Elisabeth Your cake looks divine! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive