salt to taste
1-1/4 cup cold milk
1-1/2 cup grated Havarti, or any other hard white cheese
1 cups diced ham
- Wash all the vegetables.
- Peal and slice the potatoes thinly.
- Place in a large skillet and pour enough water on top to cover all the potato slices.
- Bring it to a steady simmer.
- Maintaining the simmer, cook uncovered until almost all the water is reduced.
- Set the skillet aside to cool and bring a small pot of water to the boil.
- Meanwhile prep the other vegetables.
- Plunge the broccoli florets into the boiling water for 1 minute.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- Slice the onion, and dice the red pepper.
- Make the sauce next.
- First make slurry from the flour and the cold milk.
- Melt the butter in a clean skillet.
- Add the dry mustard and the slurry and bring it to a simmer stirring it continuously until the sauce thickens.
- If there are lumps, force the sauce through a fine sieve.
- Add the grated cheese. It will be fine if not all the cheese melts at this point.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Next assemble the casserole.
- Butter a standard casserole dish and arrange half the potato slices on the bottom.
- Salt the potato slices.
- Scatter the diced ham on top.
- Arrange the onion slices, the broccoli florets and the diced red pepper on top.
- Cover with half of the sauce.
- Place the remaining potato slices on top, salt it to taste and cover with the remaining sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until lightly browns on top.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.