8 Tbsp sugar
8 Tbsp cake flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven 350F.
- Line two 9 inch spring form cake pans with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add 2 Tbsp sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer meringue to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same bowl beat the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until very fluffy.
- Add the baking powder and mix to combine.
- Gradually add the sifted cake flour and beat to combine.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Bake until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime prepare the Nutella buttercream.
- On low medium speed, beat the soft butter, gradually adding the icing sugar until combined.
- Switch to high speed and beat the buttercream for 6 minutes.
- Add the Nutella and if using add the whipping cream.
- Beat for 2 minutes longer until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer the cakes to the fridge and fully chill before assembly.
- Cut the cakes in half horizontally and make sure to keep the knife flat for even layers.
- The two bottoms are the flattest. Those will go on the bottom and on the top. The rest of the layers will be sandwiched in between.
- Spread each layer with buttercream and apply a thin layer of buttercream all over the cake, this is called the crumbcoat.
- Chill the cake for 30 minutes before applying the final coat of buttercream.
- The cake will slice best when chilled; however it is most enjoyable at room temperature.