3.2.18

PURÉED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

If ever I was unsure the Internet is saturated with misinformation and rubbish I am sure of it now. I was researching butternut squash; the Hungarian translation is not sütőtök. The correct translation is pézsmatök. Well it’s neither here nor there for the majority of my readers, but there it is. And then there are the dream interpretations of squash, yes squash, hold me down while I haha for awhile. Dreaming with squash  is apparently associated with feelings of something that’s boring, unappealing or unattractive. Well which is it? Never mind. This I know, butternut squash is delicious. Don't pass it by, it's a great winter vegetable. While lots of vegetables are waterlogged in February, the squash just sits in its bin waiting. A gift of the New World, archaeological evidence suggests that butternut squash has been cultivated in the Americas for 10,000 years. I was going to make mashed butternut squash to serve with leftover Italian Meatballs yesterday, meatballs being all the more delicious the following day. At first the texture wasn’t to my liking so I put it through the food processor and reheated it. The combination was perfectly satisfying and comfortingly delicious. 

Untitled 16 Dreaming of Squash?

PURÉED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp heavy cream
2 tsp brown sugar
salt to taste
freshly grated nutmeg

  • Must use a good chef’s knife to cut butternut squash:
  • Cut off and discard the ends.
  • Cut in half crosswise. Now you have a solid base to peel the squash.
  • Place both end pieces on the thicker end and with the chef’s knife slice downward to cut off the peel.
  • Next scoop out pulp and seeds from the bottom end pieces. Spoon is a clumsy tool for this, but a melon-baller works with ease. Every dollarstore will have melon-ballers.
  • Next chop the squash into uniform cubes. Smaller cubes will cook faster.
  • Steaming the squash will take anywhere from 12 to 20 minutes.
  • [Steaming is the fastest way to cook butternut squash, even faster than in the microwave. Cutting it in half lengthwise they may be roasted, that will of course take about an hour.]
  • Mash as you would for potatoes or purée in the food processor.
  • Add the butter, heavy cream, brown sugar and salt to taste and give it a good stir.
  • Reheat and serve hot and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
  • One butternut squash makes 2 to 4 servings.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!