1 cup unsalted roasted nuts*
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups almonds, sliced
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 cups dried apricots, diced
3 cups of dried fruits**
* Use roasted cashews or walnuts, or pecans or almonds or a mixture of nuts. Just be sure to use unsalted nuts.
** Use only 1 cup from each type of dried fruit. You can use diced figs, chopped cherries, cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dried tropical fruits. The varieties are endless.
• Place the nuts in a small baking pan and move it into the oven.
• Turn the oven to 350F.
• Meanwhile toss the oats, coconut, and sliced almonds together in a large bowl.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and honey.
• Add the liquids to the large bowl and stir to coat.
• Scatter the granola into a rimmed baking sheet.
• Do not line the pan with parchment paper. The lining will make it awkward to stir the granola.
• Bake for 5 minutes and then remove the pan with the walnuts. Set aside.
• Set the timer for 40 more minutes and continue baking the granola.
• Stir occasionally with a spatula.
• During the last ten minutes, stir more often. There is a tendency for the granola to brown around the perimeter of the pan. As you stir it, try to mix the browning parts into the main body.
• Remove granola from the oven and let it cool down, stirring occasionally.
• Add the dried fruits and the roasted nuts and toss.
• Let it cool completely and then store it in a glass jar with a well fitting lid.