image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

26.10.11

HUNGARIAN SWEET BUN - BUKTA


They look like little breads. The best known bukta is filled with jam, these are called lekváros bukta. My grandma always made some kakaós bukta for us; you guessed it, these were filled with cocoa. The funny thing about bukta the cocoa ones always disappeared. So quite often all that we had was the jam filled kind. I remember eating the bukta around the jam. But I wasn’t the only kid to desecrate grandma’s bukta. By evening a tray of bukta could look as if an army of rodents have been through it. I couldn’t figure out why she insisted putting jam in half of them anyway. I am the grandmother now and I make my bukta with a cocoa filling. Is there anything better than coming home from school to a tray of warm bukta? This recipe makes 12 buktas in a square baking pan. If doubled, make 24 buktas and bake them in a rectangular pan.

DOUGH:
2-1/3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2-1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
3/4 cup milk, lukewarm
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter

FILLING:
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
4 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa, sifted


• In a large bowl, combine bread flour with soft butter.
• Add the sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and the instant dry yeast.
• In a small bowl whisk together the milk and the egg.
• Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
• Combine to make soft dough.
• Turn the dough onto a lightly floured kneading surface.
• Knead for a few minutes.
• Place the dough into bowl and sprinkle flour on the top.
• Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
• Punch down and roll the dough out to half an inch thickness.
• Cut into twelve squares.
Prepare the filling next.
• In a small bowl whip 1/4 cup of butter with the sugar.
• Add the cocoa and stir to combine.
• Divide the cocoa filling between the twelve dough squares.
• Pinch together two opposite ends and then roll up the dough to encasing the cocoa filling.
• Line a small square pan with parchment paper.
• Spray with cooking spay and arrange the twelve rolls in the pan slightly touching.
• Brush the tops with melted butter and let the buktas rise until doubled in size.
• Bake the risen buktas in 350F oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.





6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, they look so yummy Zsusza! I must make some when I get a chance - I can almost smell them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Minxy, these are so quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Thanks Zsuzsa... I may try my hand at these and link back to your recipe xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very nice thing Lizzy. Though I have to admit my grandma made huge buktas. Her tops and bottoms [did I just that?] were thick and crunchy. But I make mine small so it doesn't need too long to bake and then it stays nice and soft. Hahaha

      Delete
  4. How do you make the mixture if you want to use jam? Do you add anything to the jam before filling the bread? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, nothing needs to be added. The jam has to be spooned onto the dough before forming the bukta. Use thick jam and never runny. Hungarian jam is thick and not runny. Runny jam or jelly would make a terrible mess and would make forming the bukta impossible. The jam filled bukta is not like a doughnut that you poke a hole and pipe the jam inside.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive