This one is a very homey and delicious dessert. It’s not a cake or a pie or a coffeecake. It’s not even a crepe. Plums are baked in a crepe batter and come out looking like a bread pudding without the bread. We had it hot out of the oven with whipped cream. It’s also lovely piled into a tall dessert cup and eaten after it cools down. It’s amazingly simple to make, all you need is a bowl and a whisk to combine the crepe like batter and just pour it over the plums. Then into the oven it goes to bake. Come to think of it, almost any seasonal fruit would be good prepared this way... particularly apricots.
12-16 plums [depending on the size]
sprinkling of cinnamon
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp sugar
4Tbsp melted butter
1 cup whole milk
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Wash the plums, cut them in half removing the stones.
• Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
• Arrange the plums with the cut side up in the prepared dish.
• Sprinkle the top [sparingly!] with cinnamon.
• In a bowl place the flour, sugar, melted butter, eggs.
• Stir to combine.
• Add the milk and whisk the batter smooth.
• Place in preheated 350F oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.
• Serve the szilváslepény hot out of the oven or after it has been cooled to room temperature. The texture of the pudding remains the same even after it cools down.