1 pkg. fresh asparagus
3 cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup whipping cream
• Wash the asparagus, but do not remove the woody ends.
• Place the asparagus and the chicken stock in a medium sized pot.
• Bring to the boil.
• Reduce heat, cover pot and slowly simmer until asparagus is very tender.
• Meanwhile make a roux from 3 Tbsp butter and 3 Tbsp flour.
• Remove roux from heat and gradually stir in the cold milk. Set it aside.
• When the asparagus is tender, remove 1 cup of the asparagus and set it aside.
• Remove pot from heat and add the milk and roux mixture.
• In batches, put the pot’s contents in a blender or food processor.
• Puree the soup.
• After each batch is pureed, press it through a fine sieve and into a clean pot. This will remove all the unwanted fibers.
• When the entire soup has been pureed and put through the sieve, chop the reserved asparagus discarding the woody ends.
• Put the chopped asparagus pieces back into the pot.
• Bring to a boil and slowly simmer for a couple of minutes.
• Adjust the salt and add ground pepper to taste.
• Remove pot from heat and stir in the whipping cream.
• After you add the cream, do not let soup come to a boil. If you need to reheat, just until steam begins to rise from the surface.