1 cup water
sprinkle of salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
2. Cream Layer:
1 batch of Pastry Cream – the recipe is here. You can replace the pastry cream with an instant vanilla cream. Recipe for Instant Vanilla Cream is included at the end.
3. Whipped Cream Layer:
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Place water, salt, butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
• Reduce heat to medium and add the flour all at once.
• Start beating with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pot.
• Remove from heat.
• With the wooden spoon start adding the eggs, one at a time and keep beating until the egg is fully incorporated.
• Repeat the same process with the remaining eggs.
• Spoon the dough into 9 piles; [aim for height] onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
• Leave lots of room between the dough piles for expansion.
• Bake the pastries in preheated oven until puffed up, light, dry, and golden.
• Do not open the door, because the pastry can fall.
• Meanwhile make the pastry cream or in its place whisk together the instant vanilla cream.
• Cover and set aside in the fridge.
• Whip up 1 cup of whipping cream to soft peaks.
• Add 1 Tbsp sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
• Add 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.
• Cover the whipped cream and place in the fridge.
• When the pastries have a deep golden color and are crispy in appearance, turn off the heat and open the oven door a little.
• Let the pastries cool down in the oven a bit. This way you won’t have to scrape out the insides before the fillings are added.
• Transfer the cooled pastries to a tray and slice the tops off.
• Spoon or pipe the vanilla cream around the perimeter of the bottom pastries. Divide the remaining cream in the middle of the pastries.
• Spoon the whipped cream on top of the vanilla cream.
• Place on the tops.
• Sprinkle the tops with icing sugar just before serving.
INSTANT VANILLA CREAM
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
2 cups whipping cream
• Whisk together instant pudding with the whipped cream.
• Cover and refrigerate.
[Next time I will try it with half and half instead. I may not be able to use 2 cups though.
You don’t want pudding consistency, because the vanilla cream is best piped.]