COOKING LARGE NEW POTATOES
Large new potatoes can be tricky to boil. They are more fragile than regular potatoes. Consequently they cook faster and fall apart rather quickly. Never salt the cooking water of new potatoes. Try to select similar sizes for even cooking. Always bring the water to full boil before adding the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium and cover the pot. Depending on the size new potatoes can be ready from 5 to 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes of cooking time is the most you will ever need to cook new potatoes. Start to check on them after 5 minutes. Aim to undercook them, if the knife meets with a little resistance in the middle, remove from the heat, pour off the water, cover and let them soften up in the residual heat. Wait 15-20 minutes before peeling them. Sprinkle them with salt and pour melted butter on the top. Do not leave new potatoes soaking in water before or after cooking; the nutrients will seep out into the water and the cooked potatoes will soak up water and then they fall apart as you serve them.
large new potatoes
salt to taste
• Select similar sized potatoes.
• Wash and scrub them if need to.
• Place a pot of water on the stove and bring it to full boil.
• Add the potatoes and bring it back to boil.
• Reduce heat for a slow steady simmer and cover the pot.
• Begin checking the potatoes after five minutes. Aim for slightly undercooking. Use a sharp knife, not a fork.
• When the knife meets with a little resistance in the middle, remove from heat.
• Pour off the water and cover the pot immediately.
• Wait 15-20 minutes and no peeking!
• Peel off the skin with a sharp pairing knife and place the potatoes in a warmed serving dish.
• Sprinkle with salt and pour melted butter on the top and serve.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDAL...
- BROWN BUTTER CAKE
- BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- HUNGARIAN APPLE SQUARES - ALMÁSPITE
- HAM AND BREAD PUDDING
- SWEET BEET CITRUS SALAD
- BLACK BEAN TOMATO SOUP
- COOKING LARGE NEW POTATOES
- NEW POTATOES WITH CAPERS
- BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
- ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- TOMATO LAYERED POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS RAKOTT KRUM...
- ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES
- CROSTINI WITH OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES
- OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SLICES
- HUNGARIAN WATER PICKLES - VIZES UBORKA
- BROCCOLI CARROT SALAD
- LENTIL STEW – LENCSE FŐZELÉK
- ROASTED BUFFALO TURKEY LEG
- ▼ October (19)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)