SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDALTHÚSSAL
This is one more variation on the theme. Like Sauerkraut Gulyas, Transylvanian Layered Cabbage, Sausage and Kraut, Sauerkraut with Meatballs leads back to the same magnificent dish, Hungarian Cabbage Rolls. I didn’t put rice in the meatballs, because rice would make them too fragile and I like to keep the meatballs small. But given that rice is a component of cabbage rolls, albeit small amount, this dish does go rather well with a serving of cooked rice.
2 +2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 + 1/2 cups diced onions
1 tsp caraway seeds
500 g lean ground pork
salt and ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp fine breadcrumbs
2 + 2 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 cups of sauerkraut, drained
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 thick slices of Canadian back bacon, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
2/3 cup homemade pork or chicken stock
2 Tbsp flour 1/2 cup sour cream
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large non stick skillet.
• Add 3/4 cup onions and the caraway seeds to the skillet and sauté until onions are soft.
• Meanwhile place the ground pork, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, 2 tsp Hungarian paprika and the freshly chopped parsley in a large mixing bowl.
• Add the soft onions, minced garlic and the egg.
• With clean hands, combine the meat mixture really well.
• Drain the sauerkraut and add to an oven proof metal pot.
• Add the remaining 2 tsp oil to the same skillet.
• Slowly sauté the remaining 1/2 cup onions.
• Add the onions to the sauerkraut with the remaining 2 tsp paprika and stir to combine.
• Arrange the diced bell pepper, tomatoes over the sauerkraut mixture.
• Form 20 meatballs from the meat mixture and arrange over the bell peppers ans the tomatoes.
• Scatter the diced back bacon on the top and add the meat stock.
• Cover and place in the preheated oven for 2-3 hours.
• Remove from heat and transfer the meatballs to a platter.
• Stir in the flour and the sour cream and put back the meatballs.
• Do not stir after the meatballs are put back; only shake the pot from side to side.
• Place back into the oven uncovered for one more hour.
• Remove from the oven and serve with sour cream and rice.
• Serves 4-6
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!
- December (1)
- November (16)
- October (14)
- August (14)
- July (15)
- June (4)
- May (5)
- April (8)
- March (12)
- February (9)
- January (9)
- December (9)
- November (21)
- October (20)
- September (31)
- August (33)
- July (27)
- June (16)
- May (13)
- April (11)
- March (40)
- February (26)
- January (42)
- December (20)
- November (25)
- October (18)
- September (19)
- August (22)
- July (12)
- April (10)
- March (25)
- February (17)
- January (10)
- December (2)
- November (2)
- October (20)
- September (5)
- August (7)
- July (11)
- June (7)
- May (39)
- April (37)
- March (31)
- January (34)