ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
This is a really special tomato sauce. It can be served on top of buttered pasta or used as a pizza sauce. The recipe yields 4 cups. I roasted a red bell pepper with the tomatoes, but a peeled and chopped carrot would have worked just as well. For maximum sweetness try roasting both red pepper and carrot with the tomatoes.
1+2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 cups tomatoes, cut in half [large ones quartered]
salt and pepper to taste
4 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
3-4 sprigs of fresh parsley
2 Tbsp chopped basil leaves
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp golden brown sugar
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Add the 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large baking dish.
• Wash the tomatoes, removing stems and centers. Cut out any blemish.
• Cut each tomato in half or quarter them if the tomatoes are large.
• Measure 8 cups of cut tomatoes into the baking dish. Make sure the tomatoes are in one layer for maximum roasting.
• Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
• Peel the onion and the garlic cloves.
• Coarsely chop them and add to the tomatoes.
• Wash and coarsely chop the bell pepper and add them to the tomatoes.
• Wash several sprigs of fresh parsley and add these to the tomatoes.
• Sprinkle the top with a selection of fresh and dry herbs.
• Drizzle the top with the remaining olive oil.
• Bake for 1 hour.
• Remove from the oven and with a slotted spoon transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor.
• Pour the remaining liquid through a fine sieve into a pot.
• Boil the liquid until it reduces to a jam like consistency. Keep an eye on it, this won’t take long and if you forget about it can burn quite easily.
• Add the reduced liquid and 1 tsp of golden brown sugar to the tomato mixture and puree until smooth.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDAL...
- BROWN BUTTER CAKE
- BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- HUNGARIAN APPLE SQUARES - ALMÁSPITE
- HAM AND BREAD PUDDING
- SWEET BEET CITRUS SALAD
- BLACK BEAN TOMATO SOUP
- COOKING LARGE NEW POTATOES
- NEW POTATOES WITH CAPERS
- BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
- ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- TOMATO LAYERED POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS RAKOTT KRUM...
- ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES
- CROSTINI WITH OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES
- OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SLICES
- HUNGARIAN WATER PICKLES - VIZES UBORKA
- BROCCOLI CARROT SALAD
- LENTIL STEW – LENCSE FŐZELÉK
- ROASTED BUFFALO TURKEY LEG
- ▼ October (19)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)