image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

12.10.12

ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES



These are delicious canapés and you can make a lot rather quickly. The recipe was adapted from Chef Linda Weiss: Pepperoni Pizza Tomatoes. Not being overly fond of pepperoni, I replaced it with a Hungarian salami look alike, not as good as the original, but still better than a pepperoni. I had really nice mozzarella, but you can use white cheddar or a mixture of Italian cheeses as Weiss have done. Made in larger tomatoes, one of these with a green salad will make a meal. I used smallish wine ripened tomatoes. In winter I would use Roma tomatoes cut lengthwise with a little slice off the bottom to make them stand up straight. The scooped out portion is worth saving for soups or stews; freeze, date and label.
 
6 small wine ripened tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 fresh garlic, diced
6 slices of dry salami
1 cup mozzarella cheese, crumpled
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumpled
 
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Spray an ovenproof baking dish with cooking spray.
• Cut the tomato tops off and scoop out the seeds and the pulp. Reserve these for some other use.
• Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes and add a couple of pieces from the diced garlic.
• Place 1 slice of dry salami inside the hollowed out tomato. If the tomato is larger, you may need more than one slice of salami.
• Place a bit of crumpled up herb inside. I used home dried oregano leaves.
• Divide the crumpled up cheese on the top. Pile it up, the cheese will settle down inside as it bakes.
• Bake the tomatoes for 20 minutes or until the cheese tops are bubbly. • Serve immediately.
• Can be eaten as a canapé or smeared on toasted baguette slices.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive