ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES
These are delicious canapés and you can make a lot rather quickly. The recipe was adapted from Chef Linda Weiss: Pepperoni Pizza Tomatoes. Not being overly fond of pepperoni, I replaced it with a Hungarian salami look alike, not as good as the original, but still better than a pepperoni. I had really nice mozzarella, but you can use white cheddar or a mixture of Italian cheeses as Weiss have done. Made in larger tomatoes, one of these with a green salad will make a meal. I used smallish wine ripened tomatoes. In winter I would use Roma tomatoes cut lengthwise with a little slice off the bottom to make them stand up straight. The scooped out portion is worth saving for soups or stews; freeze, date and label.
6 small wine ripened tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 fresh garlic, diced
6 slices of dry salami
1 cup mozzarella cheese, crumpled
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumpled
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Spray an ovenproof baking dish with cooking spray.
• Cut the tomato tops off and scoop out the seeds and the pulp. Reserve these for some other use.
• Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes and add a couple of pieces from the diced garlic.
• Place 1 slice of dry salami inside the hollowed out tomato. If the tomato is larger, you may need more than one slice of salami.
• Place a bit of crumpled up herb inside. I used home dried oregano leaves.
• Divide the crumpled up cheese on the top. Pile it up, the cheese will settle down inside as it bakes.
• Bake the tomatoes for 20 minutes or until the cheese tops are bubbly. • Serve immediately.
• Can be eaten as a canapé or smeared on toasted baguette slices.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (94)
- ► 2013 (106)
- SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDAL...
- BROWN BUTTER CAKE
- BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- HUNGARIAN APPLE SQUARES - ALMÁSPITE
- HAM AND BREAD PUDDING
- SWEET BEET CITRUS SALAD
- BLACK BEAN TOMATO SOUP
- COOKING LARGE NEW POTATOES
- NEW POTATOES WITH CAPERS
- BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
- ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- TOMATO LAYERED POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS RAKOTT KRUM...
- ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES
- CROSTINI WITH OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES
- OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SLICES
- HUNGARIAN WATER PICKLES - VIZES UBORKA
- BROCCOLI CARROT SALAD
- LENTIL STEW – LENCSE FŐZELÉK
- ROASTED BUFFALO TURKEY LEG
- ▼ October (19)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)