These cherries were brandied for my black forest cake. The only complaint I got for the cake was there should have been more brandied cherries in it. There were plenty, but I guess the cherries were a hit. So it got me thinking to include brandied cherries in my recipes. Not to be confused with Hungarian rum cherries, these take a short time to make, plus they don’t last as long as rum cherries. The difference is not in the choice of spirit, it is in the preparation. Brandied cherries develop within a day or two and after that they start to mellow. Brandied cherries are best if made from fresh fruit, but canned and dry fruit can also be brandied. I brandied a few dried cherries just to see how they would turn out; they were enjoyable, though not as picturesque as the fresh ones.
1-1/2 cups pitted cherries
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup Kirsch, cherry brandy or rum
• Wash and pit the cherries. A cherry pitter is useful.
• Place the cherries in a lidded heat proof container and set aside.
• Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
• Bring to the boil and reduce to 1/4 cup.
• Remove from heat and stir in the choice of liqueur.
• Pour the syrup over the cherries and cover.
• Let the cherries stand in the brandied syrup for 10 hours or overnight. The cherries will let out some of their juice, so the syrup will triple in volume.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- SAUTÉED SUGAR SNAP PEAS
- FREEZING APRICOTS
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- REAL STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- MEAT FILLED PASTA - HÚSOS DERELYE
- BLUEBERRY STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
- STRAWBERRY LEMON BARS
- PASTA WITH KALE
- BRANDIED CHERRIES
- CHERRY CAKE BARS - CSERESZNYÉS PITE
- BLACK FOREST CAKE
- MY DAILY BREAD
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- BROCCOLI PASTA
- STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)