Apricots can be packed in sugar syrup or simply vacuum packed or packed into heavy freezer bags. Ordinary plastic bags cannot lock in freshness. Nothing tastes quite as nasty as freezer burnt food. Most fruits, including apricots last remarkably well for about a year. Frozen fruit eventually deteriorates, so it’s a good idea to label and date every package with a permanent marker. There is no point saving frozen food for prosperity. Other than meat or convenience foods, most home preserved foods are forgotten and eventually get tossed when the freezer is cleaned. So start using the frozen fruit you spent money and time preparing as soon as that fresh fruit is gone.
fresh, firm apricots [Don’t freeze overripe, mushy fruit.]
• Wash the apricots in clean running water.
• Slice them in half with a paring knife and take out the stone.
• Lay the apricots on a tray with cut side up.
• Lightly sprinkle the tops with Fruitfresh* and freeze.
• When the fruit is fully frozen pack into bags, label and freeze.
• Frozen apricots last for 1 year.
*Fruitfresh is Ascorbic Acid. It is the same as lemon juice without flavor. Fruitfresh is sold in powder and liquid form. I have only seen it as a powder. You will find it among the canning supplies. It doesn't really keep the fruit fresh; it just stops the fruit oxidizing and turning brown.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (94)
- SAUTÉED SUGAR SNAP PEAS
- FREEZING APRICOTS
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- REAL STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- MEAT FILLED PASTA - HÚSOS DERELYE
- BLUEBERRY STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
- STRAWBERRY LEMON BARS
- PASTA WITH KALE
- BRANDIED CHERRIES
- CHERRY CAKE BARS - CSERESZNYÉS SÜTI
- BLACK FOREST CAKE
- MY DAILY BREAD
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- BROCCOLI PASTA
- STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)