CHERRY CAKE BARS - CSERESZNYÉS SÜTI
Not a cake, although it looks like one. The Hungarian süti is an everyday cake-like wonder. Soft, full of flavour and it stays that way for days. It stays lovely for days and stands on its own without the ice ream brigade. I kept these beauties chilling in the fridge for close to a week. You have to refrigerate it, because the cherries on top are full of moisture and could mold within a few days. Take out a slice and let it come to room temperature or put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and the pite will be as good as the day it was made.
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup 14% sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1-3/4 cup flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups pitted cherries [cut in half]
• Wash, pit and cut the cherries in half.
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Line with parchment or butter a 9X12 inch baking pan.
• In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour and the baking powder and set aside.
• Beat the eggs and the sugar for 4 minutes until very fluffy.
• Add the butter and beat until fully incorporated and very fluffy.
• Gradually beat in the sour cream and beat until fully incorporated.
• Add the milk and again beat the mixture until fully incorporated.
• Add to the flour mixture and gently fold in.
• Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top with an offset spatula. • Arrange the cherries on the top and gently press them into the batter.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake.
• Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
• With a sharp knife cut the süti into squares.
• The süti will stay soft and moist until it lasts. Store it in the fridge and let it come to room temperature or slightly heat in the microwave before serving.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- SAUTÉED SUGAR SNAP PEAS
- FREEZING APRICOTS
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- REAL STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- MEAT FILLED PASTA - HÚSOS DERELYE
- BLUEBERRY STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
- STRAWBERRY LEMON BARS
- PASTA WITH KALE
- BRANDIED CHERRIES
- CHERRY CAKE BARS - CSERESZNYÉS SÜTI
- BLACK FOREST CAKE
- MY DAILY BREAD
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- BROCCOLI PASTA
- STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)