Strawberry shortcake is a seasonal dessert, it is best when the local strawberries finally arrive in the stores. The year around supply of California strawberries lack the intensity of flavour necessary for this simple dessert. I realize shortcake is a biscuit, but the way I like mine is with soft piskóta. The basis was my swiss roll recipe; except I used 8 instead of 6 eggs and I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder. The rest was sweetened whipped cream and fresh, sliced strawberries. We shared the cake and the portion I kept in the fridge lasted for 3 days.
8 eggs separated
8 Tbsp sugar
8 Tbsp cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
500 ml whipping cream [35% fat content]
2 Tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 lb fresh strawberries
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon coloured.
• Whisk together the cake flour and the baking powder and sift.
• Add the zest to sifted flour mixture.
• Stir the flour mixture into the yolk mix.
• Wash the beaters and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Gently incorporate the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
• Line two 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper.
• Divide the batter between the cake pans.
• Gently smooth out the top.
• Bake at 350F until the middle springs back.
• Let the cakes cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
• Remove the cakes and peel off the parchment paper.
• Let the cakes cool down completely before assembly.
• Wash and hull the strawberries.
• Place them on paper towel to dry.
• Meanwhile whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
• Add the icing sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. • Whip in the vanilla extract.
• Place the whipped cream in the fridge while you finish prepping the strawberries. • Cut 8 strawberries in half and set them aside.
• Slice the rest of the strawberries and set them aside.
• Place one of the cakes on a platter.
• Spread with a thick layer of whipped cream.
• Arrange the strawberry slices on the top and cover the strawberries with more whipped cream.
• Lightly cover the entire cake with whipped cream and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
• Spread the remaining whipped cream over the cakes and arrange the strawberry halves on the top.
• Place in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- SAUTÉED SUGAR SNAP PEAS
- FREEZING APRICOTS
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- REAL STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- MEAT FILLED PASTA - HÚSOS DERELYE
- BLUEBERRY STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
- STRAWBERRY LEMON BARS
- PASTA WITH KALE
- BRANDIED CHERRIES
- CHERRY CAKE BARS - CSERESZNYÉS SÜTI
- BLACK FOREST CAKE
- MY DAILY BREAD
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- BROCCOLI PASTA
- STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUMBLE
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)