skin of 2 lemons
skin of 2 oranges
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 cup + 2/3 cup sugar
• Wash and dry the fruit well.
• Cut off both the top and the bottom of each fruit.
• Cut the peel off lengthwise in 1/2 inch sections with a sharp paring knife.
• Reserve the fruit for another use.
• Discard all pithy fruit membranes from peel.
• Cut peel into thin strips.
• Place the peel into a medium sized pot.
• Add 1-1/2 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar to the pot.
• Stir and bring to simmer. Cover the pot.
• Quietly simmer for two hours.
• After two hours remove uncover pot and continue slow simmer.
• When the liquid is reduced to 1/4 remove pot from heat.
• With a slotted spoon take out the cooked peel and place it on a platter for a short time.
• Reserve sugar syrup for another use.
• Put 2/3 cup of sugar in a bowl.
• Add the peels to the bowl and shake it a bit until sugar coats the peel.
• Line a large tray with parchment of wax paper.
• Transfer the peel to the tray and let it air-dry for a couple of hours.
• Pack candied peel into a clean jar and cover with a well fitting lid.
• Store candied peel in the cupboard.