For the Cookie Dough:
1 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles.
• In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
• Stir in the flour, and using your hands gently combine ingredients.
• Mix quickly but lightly, so as not to overwork the flour.
• Divide dough and form two firm cylinders.
• Wrap the cylinders tightly with plastic wrap.
• Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Work with one portion of dough at a time, leaving the other in the refrigerator.
• Brush the first cylinder with the lightly beaten egg yolk.
• Roll the dough into rainbow sprinkles.
• Rotate the log every few slices to avoid flattening the roll on any one side.
• With a large knife slice the dough into 3/8-inch wide slices.
• Lay them 3/4 inch apart on the baking sheets.
• Repeat the procedure with second log, then go to finish.
• Bake the cookies for 12-18 minutes, or until the bottoms begin to colour.
• Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes.
• Carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 36 cookies
Or simply slice and bake the cookies and finish them up with royal icing and chocolate chips on the tops.