20.2.11

CANDIED CITRUS PEEL

I made candied citrus peel the other day – I could have eaten it all in one sitting… it was that good! But I valiantly packed it away into a jar, intending to make several more batches for the stollen I am planning to bake for Easter. Christmas was a hectic time, I was happy I got the beigli made. So I candied the peel and THEN I looked at some of the recipes and to my surprise I found an endless variety of peel recipes and all promising to be great. I remove the pith from the peel myself, that’s the white spongy lining that separates citrus fruits from their outer skin. The pith you see is bitter, especially when cooked or baked with. But then I read that “the pith makes the skin far more succulent once candied” Hmm. I should try that too. But in the meantime I am slowly filling the jar with candied peel.   

CANDIED CITRUS PEEL
skin of 2 lemons
skin of 2 oranges
1-1/2 cups water
3/4 cup + 2/3 cup sugar

• Wash and dry the fruit well.
• Cut off both the top and the bottom of each fruit.
• Cut the peel off lengthwise in 1/2 inch sections with a sharp paring knife.
• Reserve the fruit for another use.
• Discard all pithy fruit membranes from peel.
• Cut peel into thin strips.
• Place the peel into a medium sized pot.
• Add 1-1/2 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar to the pot.
• Stir and bring to simmer. Cover the pot.
• Quietly simmer for two hours.
• After two hours remove uncover pot and continue slow simmer.
• When the liquid is reduced to 1/4 remove pot from heat.
• With a slotted spoon take out the cooked peel and place it on a platter for a short time.
• Reserve sugar syrup for another use.
• Put 2/3 cup of sugar in a bowl.
• Add the peels to the bowl and shake it a bit until sugar coats the peel.
• Line a large tray with parchment of wax paper.
• Transfer the peel to the tray and let it air-dry for a couple of hours.
• Pack candied peel into a clean jar and cover with a well fitting lid.
• Store candied peel in the cupboard.


Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!