image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

11.2.11

FOAM KISSES - HABCSÓK


These tiny confectioneries look great among a tray of petit fours or small cookie bars. I sandwiched a tiny amount of left over icing between some of the meringues, but in retrospect a bit of lemon curd would have been better. I don’t much care for North American style meringues; they are baked too long and too hard. But I rather like the Hungarian “melt in your mouth” type habcsók. My piping apparatus was not at home, so I used a zyploc bag to pipe these ones.

1/2 cup egg whites
2 cups icing sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice

• Preheat oven to 200°F.
• Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a bowl beat whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
• Gradually add the icing sugar, beating continually.
• Add the vanilla sugar and the lemon juice.
• Beat until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
• Transfer part of the meringue into a zyploc bag.
• Close the zyploc and cut off a small corner of the bag.
• In a circular motion press a small amount of meringue onto the prepared baking sheet.
• Leave about an inch space between the meringues.
• Bake for 1/2 an hour.
• Remove from oven.
• With metal spatula loosen the bottoms from the parchment paper.
• Keep meringue kisses in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

     

4 comments:

  1. One of the most beautiful food photos I have ever seen on internet! It reminds me a bit the French "macarons". So, you say, the Hungarian ones are sticky and soft? I must admit they look delicious. I must try making them one day! Congratulations for the photo, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. There are many recipes and as many ways to make this. One chef makes it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_OqRTJ7zlE The one thing that makes Hungarian habcsók different is that no matter how small or large the habcsók is, the center remains soft – so it’s not dried throughout. And since it’s not dried out, when you bite into it, it just melts in the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your habcsok were a huge success! As you promised, they are crunchy outside and soft in the centre and, what's more, they kept soft for a couple of days (in a closed plastic box). My husband loved them (he is the bigger meringue fan). Unfortunately, my old oven doesn't bake the lower parts very well and, after various tests the meringues fell, then rose too quickly and were not presentable enough for a photo session :-( Luckily it hasn't changed their wonderful taste and soft texture! Thank you for the recipe! Next time I'll be more experienced in facing my moody oven. PS I like very much the new warm colour of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I am glad you liked it. oven problems are no fun. and even with a perfectly well functioning oven there are many failures. in fact I had several of late. then I saw the pictures of Rose Levy Beranbaum's 2 génoise cakes, one failed and the other perfect, yes mine was a flop too, but after seeing Rose has her off days as well I feel a little better. [bless her] the difference of course is I didn't bake another one right of way. no, it took me a week to get back the courage... and it's a chiffon baking in the oven, not a génoise. maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive