17.2.11

RASPBERRY STREUSEL BARS

There are several versions of this bar circulating on the Internet, sometimes with a slightly different write up, but always with the same ingredients. I saw it on the Church Cook and she saw it on Cooks Illustrated. It’s a good bar, but I had to sweeten the berry mixture a bit. Taste it before you spread it on the shortbread crust. Depending on the type of berries and your own personal taste, you may want to adjust the sweetness of the berry mix. It should be a bit tart, but not too tart. In the end I added 2 Tbsp of sugar, because my frozen berries [I grow them myself] are on the tart side. I didn’t roast my walnuts, because these too came from my own backyard and are crisp and fresh, but if I had to use commercially packaged walnuts I would lightly pan-roast them before chopping them up with a chef’s knife. I also added lemon rind to the crust.

RASPBERRY STREUSEL BARS
2-1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp lemon rinds
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup + 2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped fine
3/4 cup raspberry jam
3/4 cup fresh raspberries [if frozen thaw first]
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Line a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper allowing it to overhang pan edges.
• Spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
• In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt.
• Add 2 cups of softened butter and rub between hands until well combined.
• Take out 1-1/4 cups from the flour mixture into a smaller bowl and set it aside.
• Press remaining flour mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
• Bake until crust is light golden and the edges begin to brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
• Meanwhile add brown sugar, oats, and finely chopped nuts to the reserved flour mixture.
• Toss to combine.
• Rub the remaining 2 Tbsp butter into the mixture until butter is fully incorporated.
• In small bowl combine the jam, raspberries, and the lemon juice.
• Spread the raspberry mix evenly over the hot crust.
• Sprinkle the streusel topping over filling, but do not press.
• Return pan to oven and bake for 25 minutes until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
• Let it cool and then remove from pan by lifting out with parchment extensions.
• With a large chef's knife, cut into squares and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!