2 cups water
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 cups fresh sweet cherries, stems removed
[Use only 2/3 cup if pitted]
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup cherry or red wine [optional]
• Place 2 cups of cold water in a saucepan and add the spices and the lemon zest.
• Bring to the simmer and cover the pot.
• Cook the spices for ten minutes.
• Meanwhile wash and select 2 cups of blemish free cherries.
• Remove the stems only. Leave the pits in.
• Strain the liquid, discarding the spices.
• Pour the strained liquid back into the pot.
• Add the cherries, sugar, and the lemon juice.
• Bring to a gentle boil and simmer the cherries for 3 minutes.
• Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the flour and the whipping cream. Use a small balloon whisk, so no lumps remain in the mixture. If you don’t have a small balloon whisk, strain the mixture.
• Add a little hot soup to the cream mixture and stir.
• Then pour it back into the soup and stir.
• Turn the heat off under the pot and cover immediately.
• Keep the lid on for a couple of minutes. There will be sufficient heat left inside the pot to cook the flour.
• Remove the lid and add 1/4 cup of sherry or red wine, but this is optional.
• Replace the lid and let the soup cool down with the lid on.
• Chill the soup in the refrigerator thoroughly.
• Serve the cherry soup very cold with a dollop of full fat sour cream and provide a little bowl for the pits.