3 cups prepared fruit (2-1/2 lb. fully ripe apricots)
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
1 pouch liquid CERTO*
• Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water.
• Place the jars in 225F oven for ten minutes. Keep them in the oven until ready to fill.
• Place the jam funnel, skimming spoon and the ladle in a medium large pot and add the flat lids. Pour boiling water into the saucepan. Let stand in hot water until ready to use.
• Remove and discard apricot pit.
• Puree the apricots in the food processor.
• Measure 3 cups of prepared fruit into a large Dutch pot.
• Add the lemon juice and the sugar.
• Stir well and bring mixture to full rolling boil (boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
• Boil hard for 1 whole minute.
• Remove from heat and immediately stir in 1 pouch of liquid CERTO.
• Let the jam rest for 5 minutes and then skim off foam with a metal spoon.
• Remove the jars from the oven and quickly ladle the jam into the prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
• Wipe jar rims and threads.
• Cover with two-piece lids.
• Screw bands tightly.
• Place the jam filled jars back in the oven for 2 hours.
• Remove jars and place upright to cool completely. Do not tighten caps.
• After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
Yield: 6 cups jam
* Powdered pectin requires a different processing method. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions when using pectin.