2 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup red onion, diced
sprinkling of salt and ground pepper
1 stick dry Hungarian or chorizo sausage
1/2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 cups sauerkraut
• Remove the skin and thinly slice the dry sausage.* Set aside.
• Dice the onions and set aside.
• Rinse and drain the sauerkraut and set aside.
• In a non-stick fry pan, heat the olive oil.
• Add the diced red onions and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. [The sauerkraut is salty, so go easy on the salt.]
• Cook the onions on medium heat for two minutes.
• Add the sliced sausage and sauté for one more minute.
• Stir in the Hungarian paprika and remove pan from heat.
• Add the drained sauerkraut and stir to combine.
• Slowly sauté, stirring often for 5 minutes or until sauerkraut is tender.
• Serve with sour cream on a bed of rice or pan fried potatoes.
*To remove the skin hold frozen sausage under hot tap water and pull off the skin.