1-1/2 kg beef brisket
1 kg soup bones
20 cups water
1 onion studded with 10 cloves
2 Tbsp salt
• Place the beef and bones in a large baking pan.
• Bake at 400F for 1 hour until well browned.
• Remove from pan and place in a stockpot.
• Drain off fat from pan.
• Add 1 cup of water and scrape off the brown bits.
• Add that to the pot.
• Add remaining ingredients, except salt.
• Bring slowly to boil, removing scum from the top.
• Cover and slowly simmer for about 1 hour.
• Add salt and slowly simmer for 3-4 more hours.
• Remove meat and vegetables.
• Line a large sieve with wet muslin.
• Strain soup through muslin.
• Chill and remove the congealed fat from the top.