image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

11.2.12

HUNGARIAN RICE AND PORK PAPRIKA – RIZSESHÚS


This is a very crude translation; in fact, there is no translation. This is a rice dish with pork pörkölt, which is a Hungarian paprika stew that people around the world erroneously call goulash. Pörkölt has a stew like consistency while gulyás is a soup.

I always loved the flavour of rizseshús, but I wasn’t crazy about its texture, not until I cooked it on my own; pörkölt and rice separately! The traditional way is to cook the rice in the pörkölt and that leads to stirring, and you know the rest, somewhat sticky and soggy rice. I tend to make it when I want to use up leftover pörkölt, you need very little meat for this recipe. I didn’t have leftovers, but I did have a small chunk of pork meat and I made it into a pörkölt. Then I cooked the rice and simply combined the two dishes. Easy-peasy and we have delicious rizseshús.

150 g [roughly 1/3 of a pound] lean pork meat
2+1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 green pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, chopped
sprinkling of caraway seeds
! Tbsp Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Basmati rice
1 Tbsp dried parsley

• Dice the onions.
• Heat the oil in a saucepan.
• Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
• Add the garlic.
• Add the cubed pork and brown lightly; turn to sear every side.
• Stir in the paprika and the caraway seeds.
• Stir in the green pepper and the tomato.
• Add water barely covering the meat.
• Bring to a slow, steady simmer, cover with lid on and cook until tender.
• Add more water if necessary, so it does not burn.
• Meanwhile, cook the rice.
• Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl, add the dried parsley and toss. Set aside.
• By the time the meat is tender, only a little sauce is left.
• Add the meat and sauce to the rice and toss.
• Cover with a plastic dome and heat through in the microwave.
• Makes 2-4 servings







6 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, I finally tried this tonight after I marked it months ago, and it was very good. All I had at home was ground pork, but it still turned out OK with that. Next time we will try it with the cubed pork. I thought you were right, the texture was much better than if the rice had cooked in the sauce.

    I have not commented here yet, but I wanted to tell you how much I love your recipes since I found you last year. This is my favorite cooking site. We love Hungarian cooking and I have a copy of Susan Derecskey's "The Hungarian Cookbook", but your recipes are less intimidating to follow because of your instructions and the pictures and comments. Sometime when I feel brave I want to try her version of kolozsvari rakott kaposzta.

    Thanks for your nice site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I buy your cookbook. My husband is Hungarian and I love the food. I also collect cookbooks and I'm interested in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's free and its on line. Just click on the cookbook on the top left corner.

      Delete
  4. Where does the garlic end up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for pointing it out. omission corrected.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive