image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

6.2.12

STRAWBERRY CURD


The thought occurred to me, why not strawberry curd? I did a Google search and voilà! Zsuzsa reinvented the wheel again. There are endless recipes for strawberry curd. Nearly a pound of strawberries will have a lot of liquid and a fair amount of seeds, so I didn’t think I could just substitute strawberries for the lemon in my lemon curd recipe. That is why I went to Hungry Cravings for ideas. Because it was still January and the strawberries are not at their optimum this time of the year, I added 1 Tbsp of strawberry extract at the end.

14 ounces strawberries, almost 2 cups pureed
2 eggs
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp strawberry extract [optional]

• Puree the strawberries in a food processor.
• Heat up the puree in a small, heavy saucepan until very hot. The cold puree will start puffing almost immediately, but keep on stirring and heating until the whole thing gets very hot.
• Transfer hot puree to a small pitcher or a large measuring cup with spout.
• In a large heatproof mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, and the sugar.
• Continue whisking and at the same time start pouring the hot puree in a thin stream into the egg mixture.
• Place the bowl with the egg and strawberry mixture over a medium pan of simmering water. Make sure the simmering water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
• Heat the mixture, whisking it constantly, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until thick.
• Stir in the butter, lemon juice and the strawberry extract.
• Place a fine sieve over a medium sized bowl and pour the hot curd though the sieve. There is a fair quantity of seeds to bypass, so help force the strawberry curd through the sieve with a large soon.
• Wrap and chill.
   Makes about 2 cups




2 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, what an excellent idea! Why not strawberry curd indeed! I love lemon curd (I also make the low-fat version, like you), so I'm sure the strawberry curd is fantastic. I will keep this in mind until the Summer comes.
    I have once made orange curd and frankly it was awful. Weird, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to say it could not be done though – I mean the orange curd. Make it with lemon as usual and just add very fine grated orange rinds [with no pith whatsoever]. The juice of a fresh orange can be quite bland when cooked. That is why orange marmalade has orange rind in it. On its own, the orange would be too bland to make it into a jam. I added strawberry extract to this curd, otherwise the winter strawberries would have tasted rather boring too. But this one is probably best when the strawberries are very ripe.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive