14 ounces strawberries, almost 2 cups pureed
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp strawberry extract [optional]
• Puree the strawberries in a food processor.
• Heat up the puree in a small, heavy saucepan until very hot. The cold puree will start puffing almost immediately, but keep on stirring and heating until the whole thing gets very hot.
• Transfer hot puree to a small pitcher or a large measuring cup with spout.
• In a large heatproof mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, and the sugar.
• Continue whisking and at the same time start pouring the hot puree in a thin stream into the egg mixture.
• Place the bowl with the egg and strawberry mixture over a medium pan of simmering water. Make sure the simmering water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
• Heat the mixture, whisking it constantly, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until thick.
• Stir in the butter, lemon juice and the strawberry extract.
• Place a fine sieve over a medium sized bowl and pour the hot curd though the sieve. There is a fair quantity of seeds to bypass, so help force the strawberry curd through the sieve with a large soon.
• Wrap and chill.
Makes about 2 cups