image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

8.7.14

CHERRY KUCHEN BARS


Kuchen is not exactly a cake nor a pastry, it is something in between. In German bakeries, you often see square pastries for sale. These come from large sheet cakes [Blechkuchen] and the varieties are endless. I had different kuchens before, my favourite coffee shop The Crazy and the German sells peach and blueberry kuchens with crumb crust toppings.

I already had a wonderful cherry pie squares and a cherry cake bars recipe. This cherry kuchen is a little different. Aside from being pretty, the kuchen doesn't get soggy from cooked fruit. I rarely see Jim getting seconds, but these kuchens got the better of him.



1 cup soft butter 
1-3/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups + 1-1/2 cups flour
or 1 can of cherry pie filling

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Fully line a rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
  • Beat the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
  • Add the baking powder and salt and combine.
  • Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to combine.
  • Gradually add the flour and beat only to combine.
  • Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the dough and set it aside.
  • Press the remaining dough into the prepared baking pan.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and spread the pie filling over the crust.
  • Using a tablespoon, drop the remaining dough at intervals over the pie filling.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  • Cool in the kuchen to room temperature. The kuchen has to settle before slicing.      

6 comments:

  1. The kuchen resembles a cobbler where the batter is dolloped over the fruit though the base is different as there isn't one in cobblers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variations on the same theme with the same ingredients. It is amazing how different they end up to be.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I'm making a peach kuchen today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can hardly wait for the peaches! But first we will have the apricots ripening. I can see the tree from my window as I write this. The apricots will triple in size by the time they are ripe. Fruit makes baking worthwhile. I think we chocolate-d out with Olivia.

      Delete
  3. I'd have seconds of that too... yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be so happy to share with you Maia.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive