200 g fresh strawberries, chopped
- Wash, hull and chop 200 g of strawberries and set them aside.
- Quarter the rest of the strawberries and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Fully line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar and butter and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Lower the speed and gradually add the flour.
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Level the top with an offset spatula.
- Drop the chopped strawberries onto the cake batter. They will sink to the bottom.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- The cake will be ready when the center springs back when gently pressed.
- Meanwhile prepare the 5 strawberries for decoration.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Lightly score the top into nine squares.
- Sprinkle the top with icing sugar.
- Place 9 strawberry halves in the center of each square.