image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

13.7.14

FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES


A good recipe just keeps on giving; it is the case with HungarianFlaky Pastry. It’s the beginning of all sorts of wonderful confectioneries and it’s so easy to make, I sometimes wonder why I bother with puff pastry. I made these, I think, in the spring.

I had grandiose baking plans for last Christmas, but only a fraction was accomplished and here we are in July and I am still trying to use up some of the ingredients before they get stale or freezer burned. The chocolates are all gone, boohoo, and I had to buy some almond flakes last week. That’s when I remembered I had photos of flaky almond squares in the write me up folder.

I recall past Christmases with immense baking efforts and the times I went to M&M Meat Shop for some flats of frozen bars. We tried various bakeries over the years at great cost with equal measure of disappointment, but the best of times were when I baked and baked and gave boxes and boxes of buttery, chocolaty confectioneries to anyone we knew. I am less inclined to do that these days, baking with butter and good quality chocolate became expensive, heck flour is expensive, plus it’s a lot of work for a fastidious, germaphobe like me. What I wouldn’t touch myself, I won’t unload on others. But it’s been years when I bought cookie tins and a variety of tiny confectionery papers. If I live long enough it will all come to an end and then I hope someone with clean habits will take pity on me. That or back to M&Ms.     

1 batch of Hungarian Flaky Pastry
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups flaky almonds

  • Prepare one batch of Hungarian Flaky Pastry.
  • Preheat the oven to 400F.
  • Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Roll out the chilled pastry.
  • Cut to fit the parchment lined baking pans.
  • Place the pastry on the prepared pans.
  • Spread the tops with the beaten egg and scatter flaky almonds on top.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown. Keep an eye on it, flaky pastry can bun very quickly.
  • Remove from the oven.
  • Immediately cut to the desired shapes. Once the pastry cools, it is not possible to cut pastry without  breaking it apart.


2 comments:

  1. Almonds and pastry = totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me feel so guilty now for not making that pastry. Especially after buying the hard margarine. Puff pastry, almonds ... all you need is some whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive