- Prepare one batch of Hungarian Flaky Pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled pastry.
- Cut to fit the parchment lined baking pans.
- Place the pastry on the prepared pans.
- Spread the tops with the beaten egg and scatter flaky almonds on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown. Keep an eye on it, flaky pastry can bun very quickly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Immediately cut to the desired shapes. Once the pastry cools, it is not possible to cut pastry without breaking it apart.
FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
A good recipe just keeps on giving; it is the case with HungarianFlaky Pastry. It’s the beginning of all sorts of wonderful confectioneries and it’s so easy to make, I sometimes wonder why I bother with puff pastry. I made these, I think, in the spring.
I had grandiose baking plans for last Christmas, but only a fraction was accomplished and here we are in July and I am still trying to use up some of the ingredients before they get stale or freezer burned. The chocolates are all gone, boohoo, and I had to buy some almond flakes last week. That’s when I remembered I had photos of flaky almond squares in the write me up folder.
I recall past Christmases with immense baking efforts and the times I went to M&M Meat Shop for some flats of frozen bars. We tried various bakeries over the years at great cost with equal measure of disappointment, but the best of times were when I baked and baked and gave boxes and boxes of buttery, chocolaty confectioneries to anyone we knew. I am less inclined to do that these days, baking with butter and good quality chocolate became expensive, heck flour is expensive, plus it’s a lot of work for a fastidious, germaphobe like me. What I wouldn’t touch myself, I won’t unload on others. But it’s been years when I bought cookie tins and a variety of tiny confectionery papers. If I live long enough it will all come to an end and then I hope someone with clean habits will take pity on me. That or back to M&Ms.
1 batch of Hungarian Flaky Pastry
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups flaky almonds
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
- APPLE WALNUT SLICE - ALMÁS DIÓS PITE
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES SÜTI
- CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS
- STUFFED PORK LOIN
- BEETROOT FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
- FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK
- GANACHE SANDWICH COOKIES
- EASY CHERRY DANISHES
- YO 5 MINUTE SUPPER
- STUFFED WILD SALMON
- CHERRY KUCHEN BARS
- DILLED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SOUR CREAM - KAPROS T...
- PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH
- HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- LEMON FETA ROASTED POTATOES
- COCONUT CAKE
- BAKED BEANS
- PASTA WITH PEAS - ZÖLDBORSÓS TÉSZTA
- FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
- WILTED BEET GREENS
- APPLE AND BEETROOT SALAD
- CHERRY STRUDEL - CSERESZNYÉS RÉTES
- ▼ July (27)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)