image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

3.7.14

FRESH CHERRY SAUCE


Blogging has taken a backseat to other things of late, I keep planning to cut off writing or cooking or both. Not very realistic I know. Just when I have the means not to cook, every restaurant meal, every convenience food is laced with poison. So I keep on cooking. The question is will I do a write up or not. Months of deliciousness passed on our plates, but not many pictures to prove it. Or I have the photos and forgot how I made the stuff. Still some things survived my haphazard effort of late. I will be posting them from time to time in batches. Why I continue to take photos when I am intent on closing shop is beyond me. If blogging is an addiction I am doing my best to bring it to a halt. I won’t be visiting friendly blogs on a regular basis. They are far too inspiring. Still my readership remains at a steady pace. People have to eat and I seem to fill a niche among Hungarian ex paths and their descendants. I have grown used to seeing my photos on blogs without my permission. But when a Hungarian television station starts stealing my images, I found it on YouTube, I get annoyed. Some things are meant for sharing. Sharing, but not for taking. 

This is a lovely velvety sauce made from fresh cherries.  Serve it over good vanilla ice cream. It's heavenly good.

4 cups of sweet cherries
1/4 cup sugar
few squirts of fresh lemon juice
long strips of fresh lemon rind [without the whites, these are bitter]
1/8 cup sherry
pinch of fresh nutmeg
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 cup water
1 Tbsp butter


  • Stem and wash the cherries.
  • Cut the cherries in half and discard pit.
  • Place half of the cherries in a medium sized sauce pan. Set aside the rest.
  • Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon rinds, and sherry and stir to distribute evenly.
  • On medium high heat slowly cook for 20 minutes, stir it up occasionally.
  • The cherries will release their juices and create a large amount of liquid.
  • Remove from heat and remove the strips of lemon zest with a slotted spoon.
  • Place cherries in a strainer and press with the back of a spoon to release all the remaining juices.
  • Pour juice into the sauce pan.
  • Turn heat back onto medium and add nutmeg, honey and vanilla.
  • In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch.
  • Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cherry sauce.
  • Bring to a low boil to let the sauce thicken a bit.
  • Remove from heat once it reaches the desired consistency.
  • Stir in the butter.
  • Place sauce in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap right on the surface and chill in the fridge for one hour.
  • After an hour combine the remaining cherries with the cooled sauce.
  • Store the cherry sauce in the fridge for up to a week. 

5 comments:

  1. Visits to your blog are either feast or famine. Today it's a feast. I'm glad to still see some posts though I know one day you'll follow through on your intent to stop. I'm enjoying the cherry posts.

    I won't be working/substitute teaching again until the middle of September so you can expect lots of posts in the interim. Some more significant than others but as long as I have my camera, I'll be taking pictures to share with visitors to my LJ.

    I can't believe that a television station was using your pictures without permission. What was the motivation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in a program about Hungarian confectioneries and there were my pictures in the first two minutes. I showed it to my husband he said Look! I bought you those dishes... LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Zsuzsa, hope all is well with you! I did leave you a comment about a month ago, and since then...haven't heard from you. Just now I noticed your cherry sauce post, and while strolling down, you posted another 2 or 3 from your cherries including the cherry strudel. I would love to make a cherry strudel with fresh cherries, unfortunately it is the most expensive fruit we can get here in S. Florida. We don't have our own in this state; I will splurge and buy some...I do love your recipe, and yours is so perfect, oozing with the beautiful ripe cherries!
    Take good care...Happy Canada Day!...(a little belated, but the thought was there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Independence Day Neighbor! It's 5 bucks a pound Elisabeth at the height of the cherry season and I live in the fruity Okanagan, I can just imagine how much you have to pay! It grows in our backyard. I wish you lived closer my friend, I would take over a nice box to for you enjoy...

      Delete
  3. I just very selfishly hope that you don't stop blogging about food!
    All the very best to you, with many thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive