- Stem and wash the cherries.
- Cut the cherries in half and discard pit.
- Place half of the cherries in a medium sized sauce pan. Set aside the rest.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon rinds, and sherry and stir to distribute evenly.
- On medium high heat slowly cook for 20 minutes, stir it up occasionally.
- The cherries will release their juices and create a large amount of liquid.
- Remove from heat and remove the strips of lemon zest with a slotted spoon.
- Place cherries in a strainer and press with the back of a spoon to release all the remaining juices.
- Pour juice into the sauce pan.
- Turn heat back onto medium and add nutmeg, honey and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch.
- Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cherry sauce.
- Bring to a low boil to let the sauce thicken a bit.
- Remove from heat once it reaches the desired consistency.
- Stir in the butter.
- Place sauce in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap right on the surface and chill in the fridge for one hour.
- After an hour combine the remaining cherries with the cooled sauce.
- Store the cherry sauce in the fridge for up to a week.
FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
Blogging has taken a backseat to other things of late, I keep planning to cut off writing or cooking or both. Not very realistic I know. Just when I have the means not to cook, every restaurant meal, every convenience food is laced with poison. So I keep on cooking. The question is will I do a write up or not. Months of deliciousness passed on our plates, but not many pictures to prove it. Or I have the photos and forgot how I made the stuff. Still some things survived my haphazard effort of late. I will be posting them from time to time in batches. Why I continue to take photos when I am intent on closing shop is beyond me. If blogging is an addiction I am doing my best to bring it to a halt. I won’t be visiting friendly blogs on a regular basis. They are far too inspiring. Still my readership remains at a steady pace. People have to eat and I seem to fill a niche among Hungarian ex paths and their descendants. I have grown used to seeing my photos on blogs without my permission. But when a Hungarian television station starts stealing my images, I found it on YouTube, I get annoyed. Some things are meant for sharing. Sharing, but not for taking.
This is a lovely velvety sauce made from fresh cherries. Serve it over good vanilla ice cream. It's heavenly good.
4 cups of sweet cherries
1/4 cup sugar
few squirts of fresh lemon juice
long strips of fresh lemon rind [without the whites, these are bitter]
1/8 cup sherry
pinch of fresh nutmeg
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/8 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
- APPLE WALNUT SQUARES - ALMÁS DIÓS PITE
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES SÜTI
- CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS
- STUFFED PORK LOIN
- BEETROOT FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
- FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK
- GANACHE SANDWICH COOKIES
- EASY CHERRY DANISHES
- YO 5 MINUTE SUPPER
- STUFFED WILD SALMON
- CHERRY KUCHEN BARS
- DILLED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SOUR CREAM - KAPROS T...
- PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH
- HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- LEMON FETA ROASTED POTATOES
- COCONUT CAKE
- BAKED BEANS
- PASTA WITH PEAS - ZÖLDBORSÓS TÉSZTA
- FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
- WILTED BEET GREENS
- APPLE AND BEETROOT SALAD
- CHERRY STRUDEL - CSERESZNYÉS RÉTES
- ▼ July (27)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (198)