image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

12.7.14

RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK


From the roasted duck of past I saved the shredded leftovers and this was the most memorable dish I made from it. I know this, because I took photos and saved the recipe. It has been awhile, but I also recall Jim being happy meeting up with the duck again. So here it goes, the recipe was inspired by Good Food magazine, January 2009. I took a few key photos of the process to jug my memory and obviously I didn’t follow the recipe. Stir fry recipes tend to produce overcooked vegetables and this dish was anything but. Indeed it was a fitting end for the duck.
 



cooked Basmati rice for 2 to 4 people
4 Tbsp butter
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 to 4 green onions [do not discard green stalks]
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 to 2 cups leftover duck meat, shredded
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup chicken stock as needed
thyme
green stalks of the green onions used, chopped

  • Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a non stick skillet on medium heat and add the celery.
  • Braise until vibrant green and then add the green onions and the garlic.
  • Gently cook until onions begin to wilt. It will take less then a minute.
  • Transfer the onions and the celery to a small bowl and set aside.
  • Melt the remaining butter and add the shredded duck meat and heat trough.
  • Add the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms release their liquid.
  • Add the cooked rice and heat through.
  • At any time you run out of moisture, add from the red wine.
  • Once the red wine is gone add from the chicken stock as needed. Amount of chicken stock will depend on the amount of cooked rice and duck meat used.
  • When the rice is heated through add back the celery and the onions.
  • Stir in the chopped green onion stalks.
  • Season the rice with thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve right away.


4 comments:

  1. This looks scrumptious, Zsuzsa! I adore duck…one of my favorites! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit behind Kathy, but thank you. :-)

      Delete
  2. I have been saving a duck in my freezer for a while. Still haven't decided what to do with it but this rice dish does sound good. I thought that the rice would be a pinkish colour with the red wine but it's very white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too, but the wine is a clear liquid and not so much as to make a difference. The rice had a pinkish hue which was lost on the light.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive