- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- When it's hot and shimmering, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour in the vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Cook the vinegar for 2 minutes. [do not add the greens just yet]
- After the vinegar reduced stir in the beet greens to coat with the vinegar and then add the water.
- Bring to a simmer and then flip the greens.
- Remove pan from heat. The greens will be just wilted.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
WILTED BEET GREENS
I am in love with fresh beet greens. I used to hate it, because people always, always overcook them. I have seen recipes suggesting from 4 to 5 and sometimes even 10 minutes of cooking time. I made two batches. I braised the first batch for 4 minutes. The greens were soggy and tasted horrible. The second time I barely wilted the leaves. They were piping hot, but were more wilted than cooked. These tasted delicious! A friend suggested cooking tiny young beets with the greens attached. This maybe a novel idea but either the beets will be tough or the leaves soggy. With an endless supply of beet greens growing in the garden I add them to every stir fry and pasta dish I make these days. Who would have thought!
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound beet greens, chopped
1/8 cup water
salt and pepper
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
- APPLE WALNUT SLICE - ALMÁS DIÓS PITE
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES PITE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS
- STUFFED PORK LOIN
- BEETROOT FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
- FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK
- GANACHE SANDWICH COOKIES
- EASY CHERRY DANISHES
- YO 5 MINUTE SUPPER
- STUFFED WILD SALMON
- CHERRY KUCHEN BARS
- DILLED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SOUR CREAM - KAPROS T...
- PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH
- HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- LEMON FETA ROASTED POTATOES
- COCONUT CAKE
- BAKED BEANS
- PASTA WITH PEAS - ZÖLDBORSÓS TÉSZTA
- FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
- WILTED BEET GREENS
- APPLE AND BEETROOT SALAD
- CHERRY STRUDEL - CSERESZNYÉS RÉTES
- ▼ July (27)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)