image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

3.7.14

WILTED BEET GREENS


I am in love with fresh beet greens. I used to hate it, because people always, always overcook them. I have seen recipes suggesting from 4 to 5 and sometimes even 10 minutes of cooking time. I made two batches. I braised the first batch for 4 minutes. The greens were soggy and tasted horrible. The second time I barely wilted the leaves. They were piping hot, but were more wilted than cooked. These tasted delicious! A friend suggested cooking tiny young beets with the greens attached. This maybe a novel idea but either the beets will be tough or the leaves soggy. With an endless supply of beet greens growing in the garden I add them to every stir fry and pasta dish I make these days.  Who would have thought!

1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound beet greens, chopped
1/8 cup water
salt and pepper



  • Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
  • When it's hot and shimmering, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. 
  • Pour in the vinegar and bring to the boil.
  • Cook the vinegar for 2 minutes. [do not add the greens just yet]
  • After the vinegar reduced stir in the beet greens to coat with the vinegar and then add the water.
  • Bring to a simmer and then flip the greens.
  • Remove pan from heat. The greens will be just wilted.
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive