5-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/2 cup dried potato flakes
1/4 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp instant yeast*
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp vinegar
2-1/2 cups lukewarm water [do NOT add more water]
all purpose flour for kneading
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds [optional]
• In a large bowl lightly mix all the ingredients except the sunflower seeds.
• Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
• Lightly flour a bread board and place the dough on it.
• With clean hands knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
• Place the dough in the lightly greased bowl and cover to rise.
• Allow the dough to rise for 1-2 hours or until it has doubled in bulk.
• Gently deflate the risen dough.
• Roll dough to uniform thickness, stretching by hand into a 9x 12″ rectangle,
breaking down the gas bubbles in the outer edges. [A]
[Optional: Arrange 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds on the top.
Apply pressure on the roller to press seeds into the dough.]
• Roll up dough very tightly in jelly roll fashion,
sealing it with heel of hand after each roll. [B]
• Position the final seal on the bottom.
• Seal the ends with the side of hand into a thin strip. [C]
• Fold the sealed ends under with the fingers. [D]
• Generously grease two 8″ x 5″ bread pans.
• Place the shaped loaves with seam sides down in the bread pans.
• Cover the pans with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Bake the breads for 25-30 minutes.
Yields: 2 loaves.