100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
This bread is light, tender, moist and absolutely delicious.
I used instant yeast, which means I didn’t have to activate the yeast before I added it to the dough. Feel free to use traditional yeast, but you will have to soften the yeast in a lukewarm sugar bath first. You can replace the butter with margarine or olive oil, but butter gives the bread a much nicer flavour. Honey can be replaced with 2/3 cup of brown sugar, but here too, honey gives the bread a superior flavour. However, do not omit, change or alter the amounts of the other ingredients. And most importantly, measure accurately! A lot of people bake bread at higher temperatures, at 375F or even at 400F, but whole wheat bread tends to burn on the top too fast at those temperatures.
5-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/2 cup dried potato flakes
1/4 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp instant yeast*
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp vinegar
2-1/2 cups lukewarm water [do NOT add more water]
all purpose flour for kneading
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds [optional]
• In a large bowl lightly mix all the ingredients except the sunflower seeds.
• Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
• Lightly flour a bread board and place the dough on it.
• With clean hands knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
• Place the dough in the lightly greased bowl and cover to rise.
• Allow the dough to rise for 1-2 hours or until it has doubled in bulk.
• Gently deflate the risen dough.
• Roll dough to uniform thickness, stretching by hand into a 9x 12″ rectangle,
breaking down the gas bubbles in the outer edges. [A]
[Optional: Arrange 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds on the top.
Apply pressure on the roller to press seeds into the dough.]
• Roll up dough very tightly in jelly roll fashion,
sealing it with heel of hand after each roll. [B]
• Position the final seal on the bottom.
• Seal the ends with the side of hand into a thin strip. [C]
• Fold the sealed ends under with the fingers. [D]
• Generously grease two 8″ x 5″ bread pans.
• Place the shaped loaves with seam sides down in the bread pans.
• Cover the pans with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Bake the breads for 25-30 minutes.
Yields: 2 loaves.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- CREPE FILLINGS
- CREPES - PALACSINTA
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE NOODLES - TÚRÓS CSUSZA
- ROUX- RÁNTÁS
- ALMOND THIMBLE COOKIES
- PINCHED NOODLES - CSIPETKE
- PORK PATTIES - FASÍRT
- EGG DUMPLINGS - NOKEDLI
- BEEF PAPRIKA - MARHA PÖRKÖLT
- APRICOT GLAZE
- CURD CHEESE DUMPLINGS - TÚRÓGOMBÓC
- COTTAGE CHEESE CUSTARD SLICES - TÚRÓS KRÉMES
- CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD
- HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR
- LAYERED POTATOES - RAKOTT KRUMPLI
- POZSONY NUT CRESCENTS – POZSONYI KIFLI
- EMPIRE COOKIES
- CUTTING BAR COOKIES
- FARINA SOUP DUMPLINGS - GRÍZ NOKEDLI
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE – TÚRÓ
- CLEAR BROTH ASPARAGUS SOUP
- LIGHT BANANA CAKE
- FLUFFY BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- ROASTED HALF TURKEY
- 100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- TURKEY DRESSING
- RUSTIC WHITE BREAD – HÁZI KENYÉR
- BREADED CHICKEN - RÁNTOTT CSIRKE
- FILLET of SOLE IN PARCHMENT
- STUFFED EGGS - TÖLTÖTT TOJÁS
- ▼ March (33)