100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
This bread is light, tender, moist and absolutely delicious.
I used instant yeast, which means I didn’t have to activate the yeast before adding to the dough. Feel free to use traditional yeast, but you will have to soften the yeast in lukewarm sugar bath first. You can replace the butter with margarine or olive oil, but butter gives it a nicer flavour. Honey can be replaced with 2/3 cup of brown sugar, but here too, it will be nicer with honey. Don't alter the rest of the ingredients and most importantly, measure accurately. A lot of people bake bread at 375F or even at 400F, but whole wheat bread tends to burn on top at those temperatures.
5-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/2 cup dried potato flakes
1/4 cup dry milk powder
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp instant yeast*
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp vinegar
2-1/2 cups lukewarm water [do NOT add more water]
all purpose flour for kneading
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds [optional]
• In a large bowl lightly mix all the ingredients except the sunflower seeds.
• Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
• Lightly flour a bread board and place the dough on it.
• With clean hands knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
• Place the dough in the lightly greased bowl and cover to rise.
• Allow the dough to rise for 1-2 hours or until it has doubled in bulk.
• Gently deflate the risen dough.
• Roll dough to uniform thickness, stretching by hand into a 9x 12″ rectangle,
breaking down the gas bubbles in the outer edges. [A]
[Optional: Arrange 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds on the top.
Apply pressure on the roller to press seeds into the dough.]
• Roll up dough very tightly in jelly roll fashion,
sealing it with heel of hand after each roll. [B]
• Position the final seal on the bottom.
• Seal the ends with the side of hand into a thin strip. [C]
• Fold the sealed ends under with the fingers. [D]
• Generously grease two 8″ x 5″ bread pans.
• Cover the pans with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Place the shaped loaves with seam sides down in the bread pans.
• Bake the breads for 25-30 minutes.
• Yields: 2 loaves.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (93)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- CREPE FILLINGS
- CREPES - PALACSINTA
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE NOODLES - TÚRÓS CSUSZA
- ALMOND THIMBLE COOKIES
- PINCHED NOODLES - CSIPETKE
- PORK PATTIES - FASÍRT
- EGG DUMPLINGS - NOKEDLI
- BEEF PAPRIKA - MARHA PÖRKÖLT
- APRICOT GLAZE
- CURD CHEESE DUMPLINGS - TÚRÓGOMBÓC
- COTTAGE CHEESE CUSTARD SLICES - TÚRÓS KRÉMES
- CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD
- HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR
- LAYERED POTATOES - RAKOTT KRUMPLI
- POZSONY NUT CRESCENTS – POZSONYI KIFLI
- EMPIRE COOKIES
- CUTTING BAR COOKIES
- SEMOLINA SOUP DUMPLINGS – GRÍZNOKEDLI
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE – TÚRÓ
- CLEAR BROTH ASPARAGUS SOUP
- LIGHT BANANA CAKE
- FLUFFY BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- ROASTED HALF TURKEY
- 100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- TURKEY DRESSING
- RUSTIC WHITE BREAD – HÁZI KENYÉR
- BREADED CHICKEN - RÁNTOTT CSIRKE
- FILLET of SOLE IN PARCHMENT
- DEVILLED EGGS - TÖLTÖTT TOJÁS
- ▼ March (32)