This recipe calls for a three layer lasagna. To have more layers, you will need a deep lasagna pan and just divide the meat sauce and the ricotta mixture further.
3 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup onions, chopped
220 g lasagna noodles, cooked
250 g ricotta cheese
250 g mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
450 g lean ground beef (please do not use regular hamburger)
• Cook lasagna noodles to package directions to al danté. Set aside.
• In a large heavy saucepan sauté the onions until soft.
• Add the lean ground beef and sauté until no longer red.
• Add the garlic, salt, basil, parsley and oregano.
• Stir in 2 cups of tomato sauce mixing well.
• Simmer on VERY low heat for an hour.
• Add more tomato sauce if needed.
• In a bowl, combine the egg and ricotta cheese.
• Lightly oil a 15" x 12" or larger, deep sided baking pan.
• Arrange first layer of noodles across the pan.
• Leave the ends hang over the sides. (They will be pulled over the top layer.)
• Spread half of the meat sauce on the top.
• Spread half of the ricotta cheese on the top.
• Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese on the top.
• Add a second alternating layer of pasta.
• Spread the rest of the meat sauce on the top, reserving 4 Tbsp.
• Spread the rest of the cheese mixture on the top.
• Add the top layer of lasagna noodles.
• Fold over the ends of the first layer of noodles.
• Top with reserved 4 Tbsp meat sauce.
• Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
• Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cheeses bubble.
• Cover and let it set for 10 minutes before cutting.
• Serve lasagna with sour dough loaf and extra Parmesan cheese.