image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

9.3.10

HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR



I never had any vanilla sugar, even though I seemed to be buying vanilla sugar every time I went to a particular store. Of course no one else had it and sometimes I had to make a trip to that store just for vanilla sugar. Then I started making vanilla sugar myself. Convenience and cost saving measures are not the only argument for making vanilla sugar at home. Homemade vanilla sugar is much better for you than the chemical concoction Dr Oatker puts out as Vanilla Sugar. Keep those used vanilla beans and make them into vanilla sugar. Vanilla infused sugar couln't be easier to make.

1-1/2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla sugar to replace 1 pack of commercial vanilla sugar.

1-1/2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla sugar can also be exchanged for 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract.

To make Vanilla Sugar:

1 sterilised jar with tight fitting lid
1 jar of superfine sugar
3-4 used vanilla pods, cleaned and dried

• Take a clean, completely dry sterilized jar.
• Fill the jar halfway with superfine sugar.
• If using fresh pods, slice the pods in half lengthwise first.
• Add some fresh or used vanilla pods to the sugar.
• Cover the top with more sugar.
• Secure the lid and give it a good shake.
• Place in a cool, dark and dry place for 3-4 weeks.
• Keep adding the used vanilla pods as they become available.
• Top it off with more superfine sugar if needed.
• You can never have too much vanilla flavour.
• The beans will be releasing aroma for up to 2 years.

However, don’t throw it away after 2 years.
Heat can still release the vanilla aroma so old vanilla sugar is still useful in cooked and baked goods.
 

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive