1-1/2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla sugar to replace 1 pack of commercial vanilla sugar.
1-1/2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla sugar can also be exchanged for 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract.
To make Vanilla Sugar:
1 sterilised jar with tight fitting lid
1 jar of superfine sugar
3-4 used vanilla pods, cleaned and dried
• Take a clean, completely dry sterilized jar.
• Fill the jar halfway with superfine sugar.
• If using fresh pods, slice the pods in half lengthwise first.
• Add some fresh or used vanilla pods to the sugar.
• Cover the top with more sugar.
• Secure the lid and give it a good shake.
• Place in a cool, dark and dry place for 3-4 weeks.
• Keep adding the used vanilla pods as they become available.
• Top it off with more superfine sugar if needed.
• You can never have too much vanilla flavour.
• The beans will be releasing aroma for up to 2 years.
However, don’t throw it away after 2 years.
Heat can still release the vanilla aroma so old vanilla sugar is still useful in cooked and baked goods.