image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

13.3.10

COTTAGE CHEESE CUSTARD SLICES - TÚRÓS KRÉMES


This is one of the few recipes where Hungarian túró was successfully replaced with dry curd cottage cheese, meaning that it can be made with readily available ingredients. The resulting recipe of course is completely different from the original. Therefore I would not recommend making this with túró as this was designed specifically for dry curd cottage cheese.

PASTRY:
2 cups flour
Scant 1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 eggs

FILLING:
500 g dry curd cottage cheese (do not substitute)
2/3 cup margarine, softened
1-1/2 cups icing sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
lemon zest, finely grated
1 pkg. Jell-o Instant Pudding mix, Vanilla
milk the Jell-o Instant Pudding mix calls for

MAKE PASTRY:
• Line an ovenproof rectangular dish with parchment paper.
• Combine the flour, butter, icing sugar and eggs.
• Divide in two parts.
• Roll out the first dough to fit the parchment lined dish.
• Bake at 375F until golden.
• Remove paper and slice pastry into serving size pieces.
• This will be the top. Set aside to cool.
• Put parchment paper back into dish.
• Bake the second pastry.
• Remove parchment paper and put the pastry back into the dish.
• Slice the pastry to correspond to the first pastry.
• This will be the bottom. Set aside to cool.

MAKE FILLING:
• In a large bowl place the butter, icing sugar and vanilla sugar.
• Cream until well combined and fluffy.
• Add the lemon zest.
• Place the milk (that your pudding mix calls for) in a blender.
• Add the curd cheese and puree smooth.
• Add the curd cheese mix to the bowl with the margarine mixture.
• Beat to combine.
• Add the vanilla pudding mix.
• Beat until well combined.
• Spread the filling on top of the cooled and sliced pastry layer inside the dish.
• Arrange the first set of pastry on the top.
• Wrap and place in the fridge for overnight. (Do not omit this step)
• Sift the top with icing sugar and slice.
 

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried to make a Rakoczi turos? I had it another Zsuzsa's house and it was great! I've order it at two different cafes in Budapest, and all three were so different. I preferred the homemade version without meringue, but am open to any variation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind, I just found yours. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lizzy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KEP, the meringue is an essential part of this pastry - without it is not a Rakoczi turos. But the insane fly away meringue is a recent development, one I think Rakoczi would not have liked. The extreme sweetness of Rakoczi turos is the result of commercial apricot jams. [too much sugar and too little fruit] Old fashioned barack lekvar is not as sweet and neither should Rakoczi turos be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zsuzsa, can you tell me how long to bake the pastry for? Also, any tips on making the two layers of pastry uniform in terms of cutting them into squares? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I cannot tell you the time. That is a shortcoming of my recipes and I don't think I will live long enough to repeat all 800+ recipes to correct it. I generally under estimate when I set the timer and then add baking time bit by bit. But mostly I just follow my nose. When you get a whiff of your baking it is generally ready or pretty close to ready to take out.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive