3-1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp cold butter
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups ground walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup hot milk
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
• In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, icing sugar, instant yeast and the salt.
• Chop the cold butter into small bits and add to the flour mixture.
• With clean hands rub the butter into the flour until well combined.
• Add the egg yolks and the sour cream.
• Kneed the dough until just smooth and cover with a clean tea towel.
• Let the dough rest for 1/2 hour.
• Meanwhile prepare the walnut filling:
• Bring 1/8 cup of hot milk to boil.
• Gradually add some of the hot milk to the ground walnuts.
• Form 24-26 balls.
• Flatten the dough balls, slightly stretching the two ends.
• Roll them into ovals.
• Slightly beat the egg whites with a fork.
• Brush the egg white around the edge of each oval.
• Set aside the remaining egg white for later use.
• Divide the filling between the ovals.
• Roll up each oval and pinch the edges together.
• Turn the pastries over with the seals down.
• Form crescents and place them on a prepared baking sheet.
• Brush the crescents with lightly beaten egg yolk.
• Let the crescents rest on the counter for 45 minutes.
• When the egg yolk is no longer tacky, brush the tops with egg white.
• Move the baking sheet with the crescents into the fridge and chill for 45 minutes.
• Remove crescents from the fridge and poke [the sides] of each crescent three times with a toothpick.
• Bake the crescents in a preheated oven at 375F until golden brown.