6 lb half turkey
2 Tbsp olive oil
fresh thyme and sage sprigs
• Rinse the turkey and pat it dry with paper towels.
• Lightly rub salt into the bird on both sides.
• Place it on a platter and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
• Turn the oven on to 350 Fahrenheit.
• Discard the juices and place the bird skin side up in a roasting pan.
• Tuck the wing under.
• Place the thyme and sage sprigs beside the bird.
• Distributing evenly, spoon 2 Tbsp of olive oil on the top.
• Cover the bird and roast at 350F for 1 hour.
• Remove the cover and reduce heat to 325F.
• Begin to baste bird with its own juices.
• Continue basting at 15 minute intervals.
• Roast for 1-1/2 hours longer.
• Remove from oven when thermometer in breast registers 170F.
• Lift turkey from the roasting pan and tent it to rest for 15 minutes.
• Make the gravy.
• Carve and place turkey on a serving dish.
ROASTING TURKEY PARTS
In a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit
Half Breast: 18 to 25 minutes per pound
Whole Breast: 15-20 minutes per pound
Drumsticks: 10 minutes per pound
Thighs: 10 minutes per pound