6 medium beets
1 Tbsp caraway seeds
2 slices of fresh horseradish [optional]
• Wash the beets.
• Remove both ends and peel off skin.
• Place peeled beets on a plastic cutting board. [Beets stain.]
• With a sharp chef’s knife cut beets in half.
• Place beets on the cut [flat] side and slice them thinly uniform.
• While the beets cook, make the Vinegar Brine.*
• Add 1 tsp caraway seeds and the horseradish to a medium large bowl.
• Remove beets from heat and drain.
• Add the drained beets to the bowl.
• Pour the brine over the beets.
• Let dish cool, wrap and place in the fridge for a couple of days to mature.
• After two days, the beet salad is ready to eat.
4 cups water
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
• Place 2 cups of water in a salad bowl.
• Add tha sugar and the vinegar.
• Stir to dissolve sugar.
• Brine should be fairly strong; tangy sweet.