image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

16.10.10

HUNTER STEW - VADAS


Intended for game, most Hungarians cook vadas from pork, veal or beef in the hunter style. Of course much of the spices that are needed for the preparation of wild meat I don’t use and what I end up with is a nice, homey stew with a bit of twist the mustard gives. So that’s my “vadas” and I stand behind it.

4 thick slices of pork
salt and pepper to taste
3 + 1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
1 Tbsp sugar
2 carrots
2 parsnips
1/2 celery root
1 cup chicken stock
3 Tbsp flour
1-2 tsp French mustard to taste
3/4 cup 14% sour cream

• Dice the onions and set aside.
• Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
• Grate the carrots, parsnips and the celery root in a food processor and set aside.
• Place 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a non stick fry pan and braise the meat until golden on both sides.
• Remove the meat and place in a deep ovenproof stainless steal pot.
• Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan and stir in the diced onions.
• Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
• Add 1 Tbsp sugar to the fry pan and stir in the grated vegetables.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Keep stirring until the vegetables are slightly caramelized, but they must not burn.
• Add the entire content of the fry pan to the pot.
• Add the chicken stock and place pot in the oven at 325F.
• Bake until the meat is very tender.
• Add more chicken stock if needed. Aim for stew consistency.
• When meat is tender, remove pot from the oven.
• With a slotted spoon take out the meat and set it aside.
• Ladle out a cupful of stew into a small bowl.
• Add 3 Tbsp of flour to the bowl and stir to combine.
• Put back the flour-stew mixture to the pot and stir well.
• Add the mustard and sour cream to the pot and stir to combine.
• Adjust the salt and pepper.
• Serve the hunter stew with sliced kitchen towel dumplings.

    

4 comments:

  1. My absolute favourite dish....have been looking for this for a very long time.....and the dumplings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can this be made using pickling spices....my mother made the most delicious vadas and i thought she said she used these spices....have you ever heard of such a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not. But judging by the components of pickling spice I think it would work.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive