image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

26.3.11

COCOA CAKE


When you want your cake and it eat too nothing sings as sweetly as a good slice of homemade cake. I like mine light and soft and preferably with buttercream. A dense cake is a capital crime in my opinion.

4-5 drops of oil
4 Tbsp cake flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
8 egg yolks
8 Tbsp sugar
8 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

COCOA BUTTERCREAM

1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
2-1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted

• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Very lightly oil the bottom of two round spring form cake pans.
• Oiling the bottoms will keep the parchment paper in place.
• Cut two circles from parchment paper for the cake pans.
• Line the bottom of the cake pans with the parchment circles.
• Make sure no oil gets on the sides.
• Sift the cake flour, baking powder and the cocoa into a medium sized bowl and set it aside.
• Beat the egg yolks and sugar for 5 minutes.
• Stir the flour mixture into the yolk mix with a wooden spoon.
• With clean beaters beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Add 1/4 tsp cream of tartar.
• Gradually fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
• Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans.
• Gently smooth out the top.
• Bake the cakes at 350F until the middle springs back.
• Remove cake pans from the oven.
• Gently cut along the edge and open up the springs.
• Gently remove cakes from the bottom of the cake pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
• While cakes cool, prepare the cocoa buttercream.
• Beat the butter with an electric beater until fluffy.
• Add the sifted icing sugar.
• Using a wooden spoon, combine the butter and the icing sugar.
• Then beat with an electric beater for 3 minutes.
• Add the whipping cream and beat for 2 more minutes.
• Using a wooden spoon stir the sifted cocoa into the cream.
• Then beat with an electric beater until well combined.
• When the cakes have cooled somewhat, gently pull off the parchment paper.
• Let cakes cool completely.
• Place the first layer on your board, and spread with a generous layer of cocoa buttercream.
• Top with the other cake and cover the top and the side with buttercream.

7 comments:

  1. After zserbo this is one more layered-cake surprise for me! I am used to heavy chocolate cakes with a filling entirely based on the butter (that being said, I love my mum's layered cake made like this...) or only with whipped cream (which, alone, gives me nausea). Combining both sounds so obvious to lighten the whole cake! (One more beautiful photo by the way, this one looks like from a professional confectioner's shop :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an experiment. I made the cake from scrach; I was aiming for something lighter than a piskota even. It wasn't as stable as I hoped, but the icing covers up a multitude of sins. I like French butter cream, but when I don't want to fuss with cooking the eggs, I just chuck some whipping cream into the bowl. This time I made a note how much whipping cream I put into it and it was a surprise, it was more than I thought it would be. What you describe with the chocolate cake smothered whipped cream desert is called sarokhaz, [corner house] but you probably know that, because it’s a popular desert in Hungary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit ashamed to say but I have no idea what sarokhaz is... I went only once to Hungary actually... tried to make most of it from the culinary point of view, but it was short! (I will ook at sarokhaz on internet). I didn't have any special cake in mind, I only remember when I was a child, whenever there was a cake layered with whipped cream I had nausea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have some cake left... I will assemble the sarokhaz and post it - I did a search but couldn't find a good link to show you what they look like. You simply need a slice of dobos or stefania, or any type of chocolate cake and smother it with whipping cream. Just don't gag, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Did I read correctly that there is no butter in the cake? looks totally delish! I am sure going to be giving this a try...my son will be a happy boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    Made this today- perfect!
    Best wishes from Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive