MARJORAM RAGOUT - MAJORANNÁS TOKÁNY
This dish is strangely similar to beef stroganoff, without the mushrooms of course. It has been based on borsostokány, the only difference is the absence of tomato paste and significantly less ground pepper is added than to borsostokány. The addition of marjoram gives the tokány a very pleasant flavour, easier to digest and a great alternative to people, who are not fans of mushroom. Believe it or not, not everyone likes mushrooms, including some members of my own family.
500 g lean stir fry beef strips
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 tsp marjoram
1/8 cup flour
1/2 cup sour cream
• Place the olive oil in a fry pan.
• Add the diced onions and sauté on medium heat until transparent.
• Add the beef strips and the crushed garlic.
• Sprinkle with salt, ground pepper and 1-1/2 tsp marjoram.
• Slowly sauté the meat, turning it over until no pink shows.
• Add 1/2 cup water, cover and slowly cook until tender.
• Add more water [1/2 cup at the time] as needed; tokány should have a nice sauce.
[I had slightly less meat so I added 1/2 cup of water one more time.]
• Meanwhile combine 1/8 cup flour and 1/2 cup sour cream.
• When meat is tender stir the sour cream thickener into the tokány.
• Adjust the salt and add more water if needed.
• Nice with buttered galuska or spaghetti. Serves four
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- CORNER HOUSE - SAROKHÁZ
- MARJORAM RAGOUT - MAJORANNÁS TOKÁNY
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- BAKED BEANS
- COCOA CAKE
- PILIS PORK RAGOUT - PILISI SERTÉS RAGU
- CANADIAN PEA SOUP
- GERBEAUD SLICES - ZSERBÓ
- LEMON CHICKEN
- CARROT SALAD
- BAUMKUCHEN CAKE
- BAKED MANICOTTI
- FRUIT DIP
- PAPRIKA HUMMUS – PAPRIKÁS HUMMUS
- MACARONI AND CHEESE
- COOKING VEGETABLES
- PEPPER STEAK
- DOBOS TORTE - DOBOS TORTA
- CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
- STIR FRY CHOP SUEY STYLE
- COLESLAW WITH MAYONNAISE
- BACON WRAPPED WATER CHESTNUTS
- LINZER COOKIES - LINZER
- VANILLA CHIFFON CUPCAKES
- COLD PLATE PAPRIKA BACON - ABÁLT SZALONNA
- ▼ March (25)
- ► 2010 (200)