600 g pork meat, leg portion
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 + Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 Roma tomatoes
1 small celeriac [celery root]
1 yellow pepper
• Chop the meat into cubes.
• Add the olive oil to the pot.
• Sauté the diced onions on olive oil until transparent.
• Add the crushed garlic cloves and the pork cubes.
• Sprinkle salt, ground pepper and caraway seeds.
• Slowly cook the meat, turning it over often, until no pink shows.
• Add 2 Tbsp of Hungarian paprika and stir.
• Add the tomatoes and water halfway up the meat.
• Liquid should not cover the meat, this is stew; not a soup.
• Cover the pot and slowly sauté the meat.
• Meanwhile peel and chop the vegetables.
• Cut the carrots and the parsnip in half and cut them in half lengthwise again.
• Cube the potatoes and the celeriac.
• Cut the pepper into 4 parts.
• When meat is almost tender, add the carrots and a little water if needed.
• I five minutes add the potatoes and a little water if needed.
• When the potatoes are near being done, add the parsnip, celeriac and the yellow pepper.
• At this point you will have to add water to the ragout.
• When everything is cooked, stir in more Hungarian pepper for nice red color.
• Adjust the salt and add more water if needed. Serve with good sour cream.