1-1/3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar [no replacement]
• Preheat oven to 350 F.
• Place cupcake liners inside the muffin tin and set aside.
• In a medium size bowl sift together the flour, and salt. Set aside.
• Reserve 1/8 cup of the sugar.
• Place the remaining sugar and the egg yolks into a large bowl.
• Beat on high until the mixture grows in volume and becomes pale yellow.
• Add the water, vegetable oil and vanilla and whisk to combine.
• Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and whisk just to combine.
• Place the egg whites and the cream of tartar in a clean bowl.
• Beat on high with clean beaters until soft peaks form.
• Gradually add the 1/8 cup sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
• Gently and gradually fold the stiff egg whites into the batter.
• Transfer batter into prepared muffin tins evenly dividing the batter between the cups.
• Bake for 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
• Remove from the oven to a cooling rack.
• Cool completely before frosting.