11.2.12

HUNGARIAN RICE AND PORK PAPRIKA – RIZSESHÚS


This is a very crude translation; in fact, there is no translation. This is a rice dish with pork pörkölt, which is a Hungarian paprika stew that people around the world erroneously call goulash. Pörkölt has a stew like consistency while gulyás is a soup.

I always loved the flavour of rizseshús, but I wasn’t crazy about its texture, not until I cooked it on my own; pörkölt and rice separately! The traditional way is to cook the rice in the pörkölt and that leads to stirring, and you know the rest, somewhat sticky and soggy rice. I tend to make it when I want to use up leftover pörkölt, you need very little meat for this recipe. I didn’t have leftovers, but I did have a small chunk of pork meat and I made it into a pörkölt. Then I cooked the rice and simply combined the two dishes. Easy-peasy and we have delicious rizseshús.

150 g [roughly 1/3 of a pound] lean pork meat
2+1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 green pepper, diced
1 Roma tomato, chopped
sprinkling of caraway seeds
! Tbsp Hungarian paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Basmati rice
1 Tbsp dried parsley

• Dice the onions.
• Heat the oil in a saucepan.
• Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
• Add the garlic.
• Add the cubed pork and brown lightly; turn to sear every side.
• Stir in the paprika and the caraway seeds.
• Stir in the green pepper and the tomato.
• Add water barely covering the meat.
• Bring to a slow, steady simmer, cover with lid on and cook until tender.
• Add more water if necessary, so it does not burn.
• Meanwhile, cook the rice.
• Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl, add the dried parsley and toss. Set aside.
• By the time the meat is tender, only a little sauce is left.
• Add the meat and sauce to the rice and toss.
• Cover with a plastic dome and heat through in the microwave.
• Makes 2-4 servings







Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!