1 pkg. extra wide pasta [250g or 8 oz]
1 Tbsp butter, melted
fine bread crumbs for sprinkling pan
4 egg whites
1/8 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
sprinkle of salt
1-1/2 cups full fat sour cream
rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup poppy seeds, finely ground
1/8 cup liquid honey
icing sugar for sprinkling
• Cook the pasta according to package directions.
• Drain and rinse under cold running water.
• Place the drained pasta in a large mixing bowl.
• Toss with 1 Tbsp of melted butter and set aside.
• Preheat oven to 325F.
• Spray a rectangular pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with fine breadcrumbs. Set aside.
• Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Add 1/8 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
• Next, beat the egg yolks, 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of vanilla extract and a sprinkle of salt until thick and foamy.
• Stir in the sour cream.
• Add the lemon rinds and the raisins.
• Finally fold in the beaten egg whites.
• Gently fold the sour cream egg mixture into the buttered pasta.
• Spread half of the pasta mixture in the prepared pan.
• Sprinkle the top with the finely ground poppy seeds.
• Dot the poppy seeds with the honey.
• Top with the remaining pasta mix and place in a preheated oven for 40 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
• Slice into squares and sprinkle with icing sugar.
• This is best if eaten warm. Heat up leftover squares in the microwave.